DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Intrepid 3.2 with difficulty to start

776 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  peva 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, since some time, my Intrepid 3.2 sometimes has difficulty to start, this happens only sometimes. The first time I put key on ignition, it does some crankshaft sound despite it can't be appreciated in the video, but does not start (it is one single and short crankshaft sound). After some tries, it finally always gets started.
I have recorded the issue in video, take it a look please.

Do you think the starter motor is defective? Or do you think it is another issue?
Note that park plugs are very new.

#3 · (Edited)
Most likely the starter solenoid contacts need to be replaced. Common for this to happen at high mileage on this type of starter. Can get a contact kit on Amazon for under $15. Or replace starter. IMO, you’re better with original factory starter with new contacts than an aftermarket rebuilt, and for a lot less money. This is pretty much the only problems these starters develop.

The noise you hear is the solenoid plunger banging against the inside of the solenoid. Makes the exact same noise when everything is working normally, except with the additional sound of the engine cranking and starting, you don’t notice the solenoid click.

Don’t get the repair kit that the auto parts stores sell - it doesn’t include a new plunger, and costs more.

Victory Lap brand from Amazon for the win!:

https://www.amazon.com/Victory-Lap-...p+ND-34SOL&dpPl=1&dpID=519ekdGMvgL&ref=plSrch

Reactions: Ronbo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.