DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

overall change.??

454 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JoeKD 
#1 ·
what do u guys think is the greatest difference with a cold air iontake on our intrepids. sound? power? throttle responce?
On my grand Prix GT the responce was a big difference. I like the sound alot and the power was noticable alot after say 45 km...
what do u guys think..
Keith

#2 ·
I always feel that a CAI system (same goes for headers and exhaust) works best on large displacement engines, as these power upgrades work on air. The more air a engine pumps, the more effective they are.

On my friend's Sebring 2.7, same as the trep SE, a CAI barely did anything. It pulled a bit harder once past 4000 rpm but it's not something you'd notice unless you're paying full attention to.

However, on another friend's Z28, it certainly was noticeable.

I don't know what engine you have (though according to your profile, it should be make a hug-ass difference:D ). If you have the 3.5 then it should be more noticeble than if you have a 2.7. One thing for sure, no matter what you have, low end responce won't change a bit.

I personally don't want to spend the money. But I'll buy a drop-in K&N and do the airbox mod.

#5 ·
Honest:
Slight increase in performance. Lets say a matter of a tenth of a second of so on 1/4 mile times.

I experienced a decrease in gas milage as well.

But it sounds and looks better than the stock air box so ill take it with a grain of salt.

#7 ·
Ever since I had JoeKd install his awesome intake system I have noticed an improvement primarily in power and throttle response. Seems to have help mileage out a bit, but I've only burned through 2 tanks since then.

I now have zero difficulty smoothly accelerating to cruising speed by the end of an on-ramp and when I need a little extra oomph to pass some snapperhead who thinks he owns the left lane it's there at my request. :biggrin:

As far as the noise/sound difference I haven't really noticed as the stereo is on whenever the car is on.. :dozeoff:

Would still rate it as an A++ investment overall. :thumbsup:

My .02,
Xile

#8 ·
i noticed a huge increase in throttle responce, and a moderate increase in power. it definetly helped with lowend torque as well. im not to concerned about sound but it loud, believe it or not it louder then my muffler when sittle idle, and i have a resonator on!!

#10 ·
I have never heard anyone using one of my intakes or a K&N setup who reported any noise increase at all at idle

The intake setup is completely "invisible" until you are past half throttle

As most have already mentioned the HP gain isn't the biggest improvement, it's the throttle response. Downshift passes are stronger and smoother.

#11 ·
if you want more noise make sure to remove the noise canceller in your accordian tube (3.5L) or your air chamber (3.3L) for that little extra noise, it looks like a cup to pocket air thats going into the motor. Its also a restrictor, i removed it and noticed a little more throttle responce, nothing really for power until you reach your pwer band.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.