DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

New BMW M5 powertrain

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Nathan Clarke 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
The V10 is the only high-revving power unit to be featured in a series-production car. The M5's engine has ten cylinders, a cubic capacity of 5 liters and produces a maximum output of 507 bhp and a maximum torque of 384 lb-ft, making the M5 the most powerful final production model in the BMW line-up

High-revving V-10.... 384 lb-ft of torque.... Humm.... yea that torque number is a bit disappointing.

#5 ·
King Winky said:
Not really.

The Viper V-10 only makes 141 more pounds of torque with 3.3L more displacement.

Yea I don't have to rev the crap out of a Viper motor either to get those numbers.

Max torque is at 4,200 RPM, most likely with the BMW you have to take it up close to the 8250 red line just for that.

#6 ·
"Individual throttle butterflies help the engine to breathe freely

The naturally aspirated engine uses ten flow-optimized intake trumpets to "inhale" air from two intake plenums. Each cylinder has its own throttle, a feature typical of racing cars. All throttles are actuated simultaneously and are electronically controlled in order to make the engine highly responsive in the lower speed range, as well as to achieve an immediate response of the vehicle at the high end of the performance spectrum"

Man that motor has to be smooth....

#13 ·
0000 J_A_M 0000 said:
That is one belt! From the looks of it! MikeW
In the exploded (used loosely) view of the engine

http://speed.supercars.net/IMG?view...979&i=0&p=2005_bmw_m5-2.jpg&y=2005&m=BMW&o=M5

you can see two belts and two tensioners (what is between the starter (in the Vee) and the coolant output of the block? The REST coolant pump? throttle actuators?

the torque curve is somewhate cammy.
http://www.germancarfans.com/news.c.../pageview/photo/photo/Mini4/page/1/bmw/1.html

The rocket starts liftoff at 5500(power wise)

#16 ·
Warlord187 said:
Perhaps I missed it, but, what's the MPG on that thing?

You know I actually asked that once to a VW guy at the autoshow about the Phateon...I was just curious....he looked at me in a really shitty way and said "Well you can't afford it anyways, so why ask?".... "So I casually looked at my buddy that was with me and said: "Let's go Mike this car is a POS compared to our Benz." And yes that's a true story.

I imagine that it gets around 10-15 MPG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.