DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

-   General Discussion (https://www.dodgeintrepid.net/10-general-discussion/)
-   -   2000 Intrepid 2.7 thermostat temp (https://www.dodgeintrepid.net/10-general-discussion/146314-2000-intrepid-2-7-thermostat-temp.html)

richb500 12-22-2008 12:56 PM

2000 Intrepid 2.7 thermostat temp

I just bought a new thermostat for my 2.7 VIN R. The new one (from the dealer) is a 190. The old one that I'm taking out is a 180. I asked the dealer about why it's not 180... his answer was that all Chryslers use the same temp thermostat and that someone must have changed my old one. I bought this car new, so I know that the 180 was the factory installed thermostat. Can anyone explain this? Is 190 indeed the correct temp themostat for my engine?

Thanks,
Rich

lametec 12-22-2008 04:08 PM

If you look closely at the stock t-stat you'll probably see that it's stamped 180 in one place and 190 in another (mine was).

190 is the stock temperature.

To make things worse, there's no 180 thermostat available as a direct replacement (at least not that I was able to find).

I gave the guy behind the counter my old one and told him to go through the boxes of thermostats until he found one with the same flange OD. Once he found one he checked it in the computer and it was indeed a 180 unit. The air bleed thingy was backwards, though, so I had to take it out and turn it around. I don't have the part number handy, but could check the box if need be.

Even with this mod the engine still runs over 180 according to the ODB-II readout. I can't recall exactly what the temperature was, but I think it was about 200.