DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

-   Chrysler 300M (https://www.dodgeintrepid.net/46-chrysler-300m/)
-   -   Hood Jam (https://www.dodgeintrepid.net/46-chrysler-300m/1667108-hood-jam.html)

ImpalaWitMe 03-14-2019 10:40 AM

Hood Jam

Hello, is there a way to open the Hoods in these cars? My Hood just all of a sudden decided to jam on Me, I finished replacing the radiator hose and put everything back together, closed the hood and that's when it happened, Pulled the hood release latch nothing, tried tried tried and tried again. I even unscrewed the whole hood release latch mechanism and clamped down on the cable to hopefully give it an extra pull, still no go. I hope I'm not screwed.
Is there any other way to get the Hood to open/unlatch?

peva 03-14-2019 02:03 PM

You want some peanut butter with that hood jam? :)

Did you totally unscrew the two latch bolts? If you do that, you should be able to lift the hood with the latch attached - you may have to wiggle or move the latch assembly around so it clears the upper radiator support so the hood and latch can move skyward together. Then you can use a screwdriver or pliers (pull the cable if it's still hooked to the unlatch mechanism) to trip the unlatch mechanism to remove the latch from the hood.

For after you get it open:
Probably either the cable broke *OR* the end of the cable sheath slipped out of the keyhole in the latch that it slips into. If broken cable, of course you need to replace the cable assembly.

If the latch-end of the cable sheath slipped out of the keyhole in the latch assembly, after you slip it back into the keyhole (and before shutting the hood), take a zip tie (the very tiny ones work great) and loop it around the cable sheath end and the edge of the sheet metal that the keyhole is in and pull the zip tie tight. That will positively lock the sheath end in place in the keyhole. (If you ever need to remove the cable from the latch, simply cut the zip tie and slip the cable sheath out of the keyhole like normal.)

What generally happens is that if you ever removed the cable from the latch, each time you did so, a little plastic on the end of the sheath that locks it into the keyhole gets scraped off so that it no longer has an interference fit with the entrance to the small part of the keyhole and it starts fitting loose with the detent area of the keyhole slot so it easily slips out of place - then the next time you pull the hood release latch, instead of the cable pulling the unlatching mechanism, the cable sheath moves - hood won't open.

When re-attaching the latch to the upper radiator support, you need to adjust the height position of the latch before you tighten the two bolts (the bolt holes are made oversize to allow this height adjustment). if you position the heads of the bolts so they match the markings in the paint, the hood closure should be like it came from the factory. If the closed and latched hood isn't even with the top surface of the fenders, you can position the bolts different from the marks in the paint. Adjust the position of the latch bolts and the height of the two rubber bumpers on the front corners of the radiator support up and down (they go up and down like screws when you turn them) until the closed hood is the right height relative to the fenders and the tension on the closed hood is right to make it latch with moderate downward pressure - too loose and it can rattle while going down the road, too tight and it makes closing it too difficult and puts unnecessary stress on everything.

ImpalaWitMe 03-14-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peva (Post 4317694)
You want some peanut butter with that hood jam? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.dodgeintrepid.net/images/smilies/happy.gif[/IMG]

Did you totally unscrew the two latch bolts? If you do that, you should be able to lift the hood with the latch attached - you may have to wiggle or move the latch assembly around so it clears the upper radiator support so the hood and latch can move skyward together. Then you can use a screwdriver or pliers (pull the cable if it's still hooked to the unlatch mechanism) to trip the unlatch mechanism to remove the latch from the hood..

Yes I'll like some peanut butter with this Jam! 😅😂😅
I spent all morning and afternoon battling with this Shi*t, You have no idea!
There was no way to get under the Hood to unscrew the two latch bolts. The hood was closed shut. So what You was suggesting wouldn't work. I think the hood release cable came loose from the latch when I removed the radiator support piece {I think that's what it's called} (the piece that runs across the front of the car over the radiator).
I was so worried that I would have to do this "https://youtu.be/rT0BHwvN98o" smh

ImpalaWitMe 03-14-2019 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was trying to change the Passenger side O2 sensor and found this laying back there and I have no idea where it came from. I went to My black M Special to see if I can find where it came from or where it goes and that too was Laying right on the Air box. Do You kindly know wtf this is it where it goes?

Ronbo 03-14-2019 07:58 PM

05065016AA 1 WATERSHIELD, Cowl Plenum

It's some type of shield that that goes under the cowl intake at the bottom of the windshield. I haven't looked at my car but it appears to be held on with one bolt/screw under there.

peva 03-14-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImpalaWitMe (Post 4317700)
...There was no way to get under the Hood to unscrew the two latch bolts. The hood was closed shut. So what You was suggesting wouldn't work...

If you take a 13mm socket and put it on an extension, there is almost, but not quite, enough room between the hood and the upper radiator support to slip it thru and loosen and remove the two bolts.

However - when you pull up on the front edge of the hood with a little bit of force (not enough to permanently bend or damage anything), that gap opens up just enough for the socket to fit thru with a small clearance, so - with a minimum of care - no scraped paint.

I’ve done it twice on my Concordes, and it’s been done on Intrepids too. Try it - you’ll like it!

Ronbo 03-16-2019 06:22 PM

Peanut Butter and Hood Jam! I'm guessing you got the hood open?