DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 chrysler concorde lxi 3.5
Throws p0301 code (misfire cylinder 1)
It has good coils good plugs compression on cyl 1 was high
#1 215
#2 160
#3 175
#4 175
#5 175
#6 175

I'm thinking that the timing is off a tooth or something could that cause my compression issue on 1?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,341 Posts
Any evidence of oil on the spark plug?

Check for a vacuum leak at the intake gasket.

Check also for the injector leaking.

Block test it for a head gasket leak.

General rule of thumb on these engines with compression, if all cylinders are within 20% of each other compression wise, you are ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How do I check for a vacuum leak at the intake gasket?

No oil on plugs

injectors aren't leaking

headgasket and timing belt were just done by a shop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whoa, back up the train. The headgasket/timing was just done by a shop?

Looks like they've got more work to do, because it sounds like they screwed it up.

Have you tried moving the ignition coil to another cylinder to see if the misfire moves with it?

You can check for a vacuum leak with an unlit propane torch. Start the engine, crack open the valve on the torch wide open, and then slowly pass the torch over all of the areas where the intake seals to the engine. If the RPMs pick up, that's the engine sucking in the propane and you've found a vacuum leak.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,529 Posts
Did they misalign head gasket or put it ass backward??
There has been a thread or two about putting the head gaskets on wrong. Something about having them swapped and blocking a passage either for oil or water. Sadly the search function on this site sux for bringing up threads like that.

Left and right can be swapped and installed but there's an issue. Can't remember what it is though. Maybe someone who has experienced this will intervene and enlighten us all again?

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
I don’t have experience with the head gasket, but pretty sure the issue you’re talking about is swapped left-right head gaskets - a major coolant galley on one head gets blocked off. The left and right gaskets are identical except one has a hole where the other does not.

EDIT: Looks like more than one hole is missing from one of the gaskets:

(pulled from Rock Auto)

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
if i remember right from years past, it was an overheating issue that came with gaskets backwards.
some questions.
how do you know the coils are good? are you sure you have spark on cyl one? fuel?
misfire on one only probably is not from timing.
and when you say just done, you mean yesterday, last week, month?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The head gasket was done within the last 1000miles the cylinder doesn't always miss I just bought new coils and I tested with a kv meter

·
Registered
246 Posts
does it only miss on start up and maybe a short while after? corner cylinders are prone to coolant leaks from the lower intake gasket. it could also cause high compression, if there is coolant taking up space in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it misses warm too and at all rpm ranges it's just not ALL the time anyways I'll be taking it to. Shop as I'm not allowed to work on it at my apts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts