DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone my name is butch! could anyone help me?. i have a 2002 dodge intrepid 3.5 liter that lunched a timing belt. i purchased the kit and put it in lined up all the marks and car did not start. i triple checked the marks and know they are right. so i checked compression and none in all 6 cylenders. so figured either bent valves or the cam pulleys sliped on the cams. has anyone had this problem? i like this car!:

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
Yep....rebuilding or replacing the heads is in your future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is the troubling part. i put #1 piston at tdc of the compression stroke, then lined up all the marks then turned it over clockwise by hand to check if the valves open and close when they are suposed to and they do not.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
How are you checking this? Do you have the valve covers off?

The 3.2/3.5 2nd gen engines are interference engines. 90%+ of the time if the timing belt breaks when the engine is above idle speeds it bends valves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the intake plenum and the odd side valve cover off and do not see any bent or sticking valves. i can see the valves on that side looking down the runner. i think i will try the old trick and put some mystery oil down the intakes and see how long it takes to run out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts