DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has an '02 Neon that sets a recurring "cylinder #2 misfire". He resets the code and it goes away for another few weeks. He has replaced the plugs, and wires. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I think I know what needs to be replace (most likely) It's either called a coil pack or the distributor cap. I have a 1995 neon and my coil pack needs to be replace and I get that message too. I don't know if they changed over the years so that's why it's either one of the above.......Let me know....

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A bad fuel injector will do it also. Just went thru this with my wife's sebring in January. thje garage did the full tune-up stuff (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter). And after the distributor and a relay crapping out and replaced, it still didn't run right and threw a misfire code. they suspected a bad fuel injector and I told them to swap the suspect injector to another cylinder, and don't you know, the misfire code showed up on that cylinder. Try swapping injectors around and see if you get a new code for a misfire on the cylinder where you put the one you think is bad.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I believe it may be the coil pack. i believe the coil pack is actually two coil packs merged side by side, but separate from the other. go to www.neons.org and verify it. they're great people there too...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
coil packs aren't too cheap. I've got a spare one from a '98 caravan with 2.4L 4 cylinder. I believe its the same p/n as for the Neon 4's, since they are pretty much the same motors. I went thru this with that caravan also. I didn't know the codes it was throwing but tried the coil pack first, which is why I have a spare. That also turned out to be a bad injector. Funny thing was a few months before the injector, it did the same thing and a different garage determined a bad plug wire on the same cylinder that would later have a bad injector. I suspect the first garage misdiagnosed the problem. Too ironic that both the plug wire and injector would go within months of each other on the exact same cylinder!

FYI to anyone getting a misfire code-It doesn't automatically mean an ignition problem. My (and I suspect many people) perception of a misfire is lack of spark. While it could be, its not the only thing. From my experience and research in January, a misfire code it logged when the pcm detects a variance in crankshaft speed as it monitors the crank position sensor. Anything that would cause a cylinder or cylinders to not have a complete combustion event will trip a misfire code. And that could mean something as easy as a bad plug wire to something as severe as a blown head gasket. Just something to keep in mind when trying to track down misfire codes.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Just went through the same thing, Missfire in the cylinder #5 and unburned fuel, changed the sparkplugs, nothing... Checked the injectors , they were fine !!! Hooked up a test light at the injector plug and had a solid light.....hmmm that's the culprit injector was spraying non-stop in the cylinder. Problem ??????? It was the ECU that was sending the wrong signal to that particular injector. After swapping in a new(used but still good)ECU car runs perfect. So if you have a missfire code and strong fuel smell, and the eng is shaking when on ECU is a possibble culprit.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Most of the time on Neon's it is the coil pack. Modern Performance has good MSD ones i think for around 40 bucks.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
SPOOK R/T said:
Most of the time on Neon's it is the coil pack. Modern Performance has good MSD ones i think for around 40 bucks.
Do you have a link for that?? I need one for my beater. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts