DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello is been a little while since I posted, I was able to find a 02 300m special and I took the pcm, skim, ignition and key for my 03 intrepid, the car already has the 3.5 HO engine. I got everything hook up and the car starts and run but I got a air bag light on did have anyone did ever find the fix for this?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
Tried putting the original parts back in and verify everything works as original?

Otherwise a bad connection or your Clock Spring is now damaged.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
I suspect you disturbed the Clock Spring connections when you were installing the SKIM module or possibly damaged the connector to the Clock Spring.

Take the covers off behind the steering wheel and verify you haven't messed something up with the connections back there.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
You're S.O.L on making that PCM combo work in your Intrepid without a warning light. The PCM you got sounds like it was from a 300m with Seat side airbags and your Intrepid didn't have them.

The VIN # contains the info for the PCM indicating Side Air Bags. Unless you can get the the VIN changed in that used PCM then you won't get rid of the Airbag warning light.

Can't just add the seats from the 300m to make it work. The car wiring harnesses are different along with extra electronic modules in the "B" pillars next to each seat and programming.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
And the Special PCM is programmed for the lower gear ratio transmission in the 2.7L and Special cars only. That means your Speedometer would read off assuming you have an Intrepid with a 3.5L.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
So?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put back the old pcm to try it out and no air bag light so it means that is the special pcm that is the cause in my car to turn on the air bag light ....thank you Ronbo

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
There were some Intrepids that had side air bags that would've worked on. Too bad for you though. I had a 2002 Intrepid R/T with side air bags.

Hopefully you didn't pay a lot for it? You might want to post a For Sale thread here as those items could be of interest to someone. That's if you can't return them.

Make sure you state that the recipient car needs to have side air bags. And it has to be a 2002-2004 car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah I didn’t pay a lot for the pcm, key and skim. I found the 02special by chance in the local pull apart ,I pull the sway bars and cluster. My intrepid is rusting fast I may keep the parts for another one later

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
Like I said...there were some Intrepids with Side Air Bags. My 2002 R/T had them and that combo would've worked in it. Most likely would work in 2002-2004 Intrepid ES with Side Air Bags.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I put back the old pcm to try it out and no air bag light so it means that is the special pcm that is the cause in my car to turn on the air bag light ....thank you Ronbo
you needed the interior wire harness, under the b pillar airbag sensors and the seats with the side airbags for all that to work right.
hopefully you can source those parts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you needed the interior wire harness, under the b pillar airbag sensors and the seats with the side airbags for all that to work right.
hopefully you can source those parts
Yeah that’s what I figured out after a little while. The car now had 243k and a p0240 I don’t think am doing much anymore with it. I’ll be trying to find another at a later time.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
You would need all 3 airbag modules, the complete interior wiring harness, seats with airbags and the PCM.

The Main Airbag controller polls the PCM to verity the VIN that airbags should be present.

And changing the PCM without changing the VIN (You need the side airbag car VIN) would also require the SKIM and at least one Sentry key that were programmed for it.

A lot of work and expense for marginal side seat airbags. Not even close to Side Curtain airbags found in later LX ars.

·
Premium Member
16,743 Posts
I’m not sure that I’m grasping the ultimate goal here, but if it’s to get rid of the air bag light with that PCM, Dan and I together solved that for him a few years ago.

I suggested that connecting in just the right resistance value to mimic the presence of the air bag squib might do the trick, and that rather than buy a bunch of possibly expensive high wattage, low value resistors to experiment with, a particular incandescent bulb model might be in the needed range of resistance to satisfy the PCM (in the electronics world, incandescent bulbs are frequently used as a cheap alternative to large, expensive, low resistance-value resistors). Dan experimented and found a particular bulb part number that did the trick. I don’t recall which mfr. and number bulb it was (IIRC, it was a fairly common turn signal bulb number) but if that would help you, Dan might remember.

I think we did that by PM, so that batch of PMs was deleted long ago.

The required range of resistance may be fairly wide, so it may be that just about any automotive turn signal bulb element might work with a minimum of trial and error/expense.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
Nope. There's a main Air Bag Module behind the center of the dash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts