DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this page. I own a 2001 Dodge Intrepid RT. It has the 3.5 engine. About a week ago the 20 amp fuse labeled 02 SSR fuse blew. I replaced and blew I think as soon as I switched the key on. Continued blowing every time I would start it. I finally just had a friend come follow me and give me a boost when my car would run out of juice because drained the battery. The next morning my friend was working in it and he ran what he calls a "jumper" in the place where the fuse was. Of course with no fuse to blow, it didn't blow a fuse but I barely made it a 1/2 mile down the road and it just died. I tried to start it and there was nothing. Any ideas what's happened and how to fix it? I am not mechanically inclined. I really can't afford to pay a mechanic. I do desperatly need my car running. Please help and thank u.

·
Premium Member
16,843 Posts
First off: Never let that friend touch your car again. :) Never jumper around a fuse. It may have burned open a wire or done other damage that now you have to find and fix in addition to the original problem.

Not sure which fuse is SSR. They label the cover differently than the way they are named in the service manual (FSM), and I no longer own one of these cars to go out and look at the markings on the PDC cover. I'm assuming it's a fuse in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) in the engine compartment rather than one of the fuses in the left end of the dash.

Which one is it in the diagram below? They're each assigned a letter A thru T. Tell us the letter number.

Once you tell us that, we can give you assistance in what to look for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off: Never let that friend touch your car again. :) Never jumper around a fuse. It may have burned open a wire or done other damage that now you have to find and fix in addition to the original problem.

Not sure which fuse is SSR. They label the cover differently than the way they are named in the service manual (FSM), and I no longer own one of these cars to go out and look at the markings on the PDC cover. I'm assuming it's a fuse in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) in the engine compartment rather than one of the fuses in the left end of the dash.

Which one is it in the diagram below? They're each assigned a letter A thru T. Tell us the letter number.

Once you tell us that, we can give you assistance in what to look for.

View attachment 41054
I apologize. Yes It is the fusebox under the hood. It is fuse T.

·
Registered
416 Posts
O2 sensor heater is what i would say it's for.
probably a heater is shorted.
remove the jumper and see if it starts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O2 sensor heater is what i would say it's for.
probably a heater is shorted.
remove the jumper and see if it starts.
Jumper has been removed and fuse was put in. It still wouldn't start. No sound whatsoever when I turn the key.

·
Registered
416 Posts
do you have any other burnt fuses?
think peva is going to have to help you with some wiring diagrams soon.

·
Premium Member
16,843 Posts
Below are the pages from the FSM showing the Fuse T wiring diagrams, including its source of power and its loads. As you can see, it is fed by Fuse N through the ASD relay. (Fuse N is fed directly from the battery thru the positive jump post - it is always connected, AKA "hot".)

Hopefully Fuse N blew as a result of Fuse T having been jumpered while having a fault on a downstream circuit (as opposed to doing damage, like burning a wire open).

Report back, hopefully saying that Fuse N was blown and it will now start with that replaced (probably the case) and then you can proceed to troubleshooting the original problem.

Notice that Fuse T feeds the field circuit of the generator (AKA alternator), which explains why the battery goes dead when you drive it with Fuse T blown.

The wires from Fuse T going to the O2 sensors feed the O2 heater circuits, so Harvey is probably right about the original problem being in that circuit - probably in one of the O2 sensors itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
interesting. the alternator is on it too.
if it didn't blow fuse N at the top, probably a new asd relay might fix it after finding the short.
flip around a good known relay for the asd one.
horn should be good still. rarely used.

looking at possibilities.
a bad alternator or an O2 sensor heater short.
or of course wiring anywhere too.
unplug the egr, short runner valve, and alternator.(easier to get at on top of the engine.)
short still there, unplug O2's next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts