DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's a 2003 lxi with the 3.0l engine. I went to start and it turns over and it actually sounds like its close to starting. I replaced the battery because it was old and slightly weak but still turns over without starting. any ideas or thoughts would help..

thanks guys.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,831 Posts
Think you might have the wrong forum! Especially since the engine size isn't related to the LH line of cars!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi!

I don't know about the 3.0 engine management but... On the LH ones (if I remember well) the ECU needs the crankshaft sensor to be online and working for the engine to start.
On the first Neons, the ECU will need the crankshaft AND the camshaft to start...

Did you check the basics first? Fuel pump relay, ASD relay?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
embarassed to ask but how do you check to see if a relay is bad?

Hi!

I don't know about the 3.0 engine management but... On the LH ones (if I remember well) the ECU needs the crankshaft sensor to be online and working for the engine to start.
On the first Neons, the ECU will need the crankshaft AND the camshaft to start...

Did you check the basics first? Fuel pump relay, ASD relay?

·
Registered
123 Posts
embarassed to ask but how do you check to see if a relay is bad?
Don't be embarassed, asking is the road to knowledge, silence is the way to ignorance ^^

There are two types of automotive relays, respectively 5 and 4 pins relays.

When the coil is energized, it creates an electromagnetic field and it makes the "needle" (connected to pin #30) moving, closing (making contact) the circuit between pins #30 and #87.
On 5 pins relays, pins #30 and #87A are connected when the coil isn't energized, then disconnected when the coil is energized.

You can test the relay by conencting a 9V battery to pins #85 and #86. You should ear the relay ticking (it's the "needle" moving).
Then connect a ohm-meter on pins #30 and #87, it should read 0 ohms (circuit closed, passing) with the coil energized, and infinite resistance (circuit open) without coil energized.
#30 and #87A should be the contrary ;)

And because videos are easier to understand:

Sources of pictures : http://www.reuk.co.uk/Automotive-Relays.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for taking the time to help me out, its really appreciated. I'll try that out and let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again..

·
Woober Goobers!
49,831 Posts
So is this actually a 3.0L engine like you post here or a 2.7L like you're pretending in the other thread you started? I'm sure it will make a difference.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
3.0??? first thing Id check is the timing belt, got over 100K?,, now , if it has jumped or snaped,, call the nearest yard,, its a severe crash engine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts