DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES - I know it's been done with a 2.7 by another member, seen the thread. He reported it made the vehicle much more drive-able through town.

Curious, should I attempt this mod on my 3.5? I have access to an intake right now.

Looking for some input.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
It's been talked about, never done though. You would need to do a fair amount of modifications to the hood to make it work from what I've seen.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I would like to see if it is possible....I know that there would be some issues with the TB, SRV / MTV and other electronics...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SHE IS POSSIBLE! I just need to run to the yard and grab that intake. It's on a Magnum, it got junked for a bad motor. Not sure if it spun a bearing, or if the timing belt bit them.

Currently I only am running a normal 3.5 PCM, so the SRV/MTV shouldn't be an issue. I've been fighting with myself, I want a special PCM, but if I do that, it's wasted time/money if I do go single or compound turbo, as I'll setup a AEM piggyback system. If I just stroker build it, a special PCM is a definite must. If I just rebuild a balanced, ported 3.5 with 4L head gaskets and cams, well a special PCM is still a definite must. As you can tell, I am still chewing on what route to go... LOL

Back to the project at hand...

I'll assume the TPS/IAT/IAC will work fine, given it's been done on a 2.7, either sensors must share the same connection or they must transfer over. A quick look at the intake should tell a lot once I get to the yard to check it out.

Curious on the clearance, as I know the 3.5 is a larger engine, but should play out the same, just cutting out the inner shell of the hood.

I don't follow the LX's as closely as I should, but I believe they have a special contraption on the intake for throttle control i'll need to delete, or modify?!

Anyone also confirm this - I recall the LX engine being tuned with less HP, not a lot, just a little, but obviously outputting a bit more torque, the goal was a more desirable torque curve through-out the band so the car had that same 4.0 peppy-ness around town and city driving. If true, I'd be curious to see with our engine tune and the different intake design the results. Should gain a nice extra ten pounds of torque across the band?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Sounds like an interesting objective. I would assume that the 10 ft lbs of torque would also be due to some different programming, but don't quote me I know nothing about LX's. I'll be watching this closely! Definitely a nice little mod if it works out! Good luck!

·
Woober Goobers!
49,840 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Guess everyone forgot about the guy with an SE that attempted to put an LX intake on his 2.7 and failed.

Here's the link: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=221791

Maybe the 3.5 experiment will fare better?
That's the thread! He had it running and it sounded like he was enjoying the results but he
has posted anything since the end of may. His last thread was about creating an AWD
Ford Thunderbird by installing a 2.7 in the trunk of a Ford Thunderbird...

Anyway, there are a lot of good pictures in that thread with the intake sitting on the engine.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,840 Posts
He's got a few posts in other threads where he indicates he was still having problems making it run right at different throttle settings. One makes it sound like he gave up on the project.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So it seems, it got it working OK, just need to nail the voltage difference on a few sensors it seems, TPS would be the main one. I'll likely see what I can do to reuse LH equipment on the intake.

I'm sure something can be done here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, when I did this on the 2.7, I had issues with a fair amount. To begin, you need to source a mopar manual linkage throttle body. I had such a pain trying to adjust the voltage from the Ford tb I used to mimic the same curve of the stock one. Then, you need to make sure you use the same stepping IAC as the original(most Dodge/Chrysler tb's use them). And your MAP sensor needs to be installed on the intake somewhere. The new one is not compatible.

If the car was in better shape, I probably would have found a different throttle body and got everything working perfect. But, its not. Yes, it did change the low to mid powerband. But, I just didn't see the point of playing with it more on a car near the end of its life. On a 3.5, I'd bet theres a decent difference in the runner sizes between the intakes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, noticed the map sensor deal in your photos.

Truthfully, running the LH throttle body on it is my goal, I know it isn't going to be a walk in the park by any means, but I'll see what I can do. Either locate if further down off the intake or make an adapter.

I'll be picking up the intake here soon.

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so progress... I got the valve servos which are more or less "equal" to what we have on our 3.5 HO plenums, I also have the throttle body too.

Very different deal now I'm sitting down and playing with it (never have prior to this, as we never get LX's at the shop). Turns out the throttle body has no individual position sensor or idle air control. As a matter of fact, it's one isolated unit, which connects via one connector.

Theoretically, if I had a pin-out diagram, I would like to think I can match up each pin on the LH connectors and find the exact corresponding pins on the LX connector. I wouldn't think Chrsler would go as far as making these new unit output all new voltage curves etc, if anything they were reducing parts and simplifying. If this idea were to work, essentially 80% of the "issues" would be clear.

All else that remains would be:

- Plug the EGR tube opening.

- Pin-out the map sensor connectors and use the LX map sensor (essentially appears the same), or mount and use the LH map sensor.

- Figure out the valves (LH uses two pins, these if memory served correctly when typing this, LX valves have SIX pins each). This however is a bypass-able issue, as I do not have a HO PCM at the moment.

Another concern is perhaps the LH coils are going to be to tall for the LX platform, so I'll grab some LX coils tomorrow. Hell, the whole valve cover...

I also grabbed a throttle body at the yard. It was out of a Durango, a V8, which I assumed was a 4.7. It was a four bolt setup, so useless for this application. Seems LX ones are three. Will need to search again and a little more tomorrow on my next trip.

Pictures tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts