DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have had the new Pony for a week now. Pros and Cons so far. Pros handling is great, Brakes, My God does it have brakes. Way way way better than the Intrepids. **** the front calipers are twice the size of the Intrepids. Less brake dust. Steering heavier than the Intrepid, but very quick. Ride a little stiffer than the Intrepid. Then again it has the GT suspension wheels and tires. seats are good. MPG so far 22.8 with 600 miles on it. Radio has very nice sound. Gauges are nice and easy to read. And i like having a oil and battery gauges. View all round good. About the same as the Intrepid no better now worse. Paint seems better than mopars. The After market is great. There are tons of mods and parts you can do. And cheaper than Mopar parts on the whole. I ordered a CAI intake and tunner today. They should but me in the high 14 sec 1/4 mile times. Cons Plastic seems to scuff up easier cheaper looking than the Intrepids. More Suspension and road nosie, but less wind nosie than the Intrepids. Radio is harder to see day and night. The 5 speed tranny feels kind of slow. And shifts a little weird to me. Then again i just ordered a CIA and a Xcal2 tunner. That everybody on the Mustang sites says does wounders for the 5 speed auto. Found some wiring clips not pushed in their mounting holes under the hood. Prop rod for the heavy hood. High door frame. I like to have my arm resting on the door. With the window down and it is too high to rest right. Thats it for now.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
FYI, having worked in an OEM body parts supplier for Dodge and Ford, the parts are painted on the same line with the same quality paint and finish. Sometimes, it's even the same exact color of paint. The parts are painted interchangeably, Ford, Dodge, Ford, Dodge, Ford, Dodge as it goes on down the line. There's no difference in the paint for the most part.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
i dont know....my 2 intrepids both had REALLY bad chipping problems on the hood. my 93's hood was repainted twice, the first time was the dealer that did it and the second time was when i had the accident with it and it was repainted again.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
01redMS said:
i dont know....my 2 intrepids both had REALLY bad chipping problems on the hood. my 93's hood was repainted twice, the first time was the dealer that did it and the second time was when i had the accident with it and it was repainted again.
Same here. My brother was over the other day and asked me what's all over my hood. I told him its all chips and his jaw dropped.

Spook, you lucky bastad!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
01redMS said:
I would say that's more on the part of the part manufacturer than the make of the car. There's a science to painting these parts.

Short sampling, there's all sorts of fire-retardants/primers that can be used on the parts before the paint process. And then even before that, there's the whole power-washing process which also proves as a means to heat the part to the optimal painting temperature. Many, many factors come into play on how well the paint sticks.

I'm guessing the paint was just fine on the rest of the car, but not the hood. Therefore, whoever made the hood did a shitty ass job. Not due to the paint itself.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I'm guessing the paint was just fine on the rest of the car, but not the hood. Therefore, whoever made the hood did a shitty ass job. Not due to the paint itself.
Nah, the hood gets the most exposure to foreign objects. I've got a few other areas that haven't weathered too well either. The paint does seem pretty fragile on these cars.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I still haven't figured out why Ford insists on the continued use of hood prop rods!!!! :soapbox:

I'm glad my TBirds didn't have em. :biggrin:
...that is all.... :)

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
In2Deep said:
I still haven't figured out why Ford insists on the continued use of hood prop rods!!!! :soapbox:
Cuz it's cheaper to build em that way.

Even my '88 Aries didn't have a prop rod!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Prop rods are there to keep idiots from messing with anything under there. If a person can't figure out how to keep their hood up, then they shouldn't be messing with anything it covers, simple as that.

It's like a stupidity test.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
froggy81500 said:
Nah, the hood gets the most exposure to foreign objects. I've got a few other areas that haven't weathered too well either. The paint does seem pretty fragile on these cars.
Nah as in I'm wrong?

BTW, one of the biggest contributors, if not the most, is the simple fact that it is exposed to a lot of extreme temp changes since there's a hot ass engine residing underneath it.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Nah as in I'm wrong?

BTW, one of the biggest contributors, if not the most, is the simple fact that it is exposed to a lot of extreme temp changes since there's a hot ass engine residing underneath it.
that could be true. but the 93 ES i had was bought brand new by my parents (who i bought it from) and it was back at the dealer within a couple months getting the hood repainted. the only driving they really do is from home to work which is like 10 miles, max. they would take it on road trips which i could see rock chips and whatnot, but with it being back at the dealer within a couple months makes me really think about it

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Oh yeah, and back in the inspection booth, there literally is a list of 50+ things that could be wrong with the paint and that's only what can be seen from the outside. Sometimes the fire-retardant/primer would be real thin or non-existent and no one would notice if the paint happens to stick real well.

Also, the paint booths have to be within 2 degrees of normal and the humidity spot on perfect. Then the paint itself has to be at a certain temp plus they measure the viscosity of the paint down to 3 decimals. It's a very complicated science that can get f'd up real easily. I never appreciated it as much as I did when I actually saw all the variables involved.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Nah as in I'm wrong?

I used to have a 1989 Chevy pickup with over 220K miles on it and the hood didn't look nearly as bad as my trep. Yeah I know, probably a different paint type. As far as I remember it was clear coated also. My wife's '98 Sebring that we just got rid of in january didn't look as bad as my hood does either.

Not "nah I think you're wrong" because I have no reason to doubt what you say about the paint application process. It was a "nah" as in from my experiences with many different cars, this one in particular seems to be easy to chip.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
The nose of my Trep looks more grey than white due to all the pitting.... That's why I usually leave the full bra on all the time. Gotta hide that nasty lookin nose!! :biggrin:

Good to hear you're liking the 'Stang so far, Kevin! Let it get broken in and modded, then let us know if the performance is a bit more impressive on the old butt-dyno!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Glad to hear it's a fine car!

I've been seeing a LOT of these new Mustangs in town, the Ford dealership has a bunch in stock and every time I go by there, there are different color Mustangs out front, they appear to be selling well.

I'm a bit surprised about the brakes, I'm happy to hear that Ford put great brakes on, now if only we could get good brakes on the Focus..... those should come with the upcoming redesign.

I'm a bit disappointed by the prop rod, I mean it just looks cheap. If a 97 T-bird or Cougar had lifting struts on its hood, why not on the new Mustang. Minor gripe I know.

How fast is it? Im guessing low 15 second 1/4mi. The milage is better than I expected, cool.

Detroit as a whole has been coming out with some really good cars lately. :bouncgrin

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Prop rod is gone. Yesterday my Red Line kit came in. And a hour later i had it installed. Much better after the 1st foot or so. It lifts by its self the rest of the way open. :smileyb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts