DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions. This is what I am thinking of maybe doing. I whant to build a small box to hold one 10' sub with the front of the box to have a 2" or 3" lip on it. Then cut a hole into the rear deck and hang the box from it, and fasten the box to the deck. I will then cut a 10" hole into the deck liner and put a grill cover over the speaker. I am not looking for alot of base just something to give my car some more thump without losing any space in the trunk.

:gross_07:

·
Registered
120 Posts
i've been thinking about doing this with 2 10's and building a box from the trunk floor all the way up to the deck, i wanted to integrade a 6x9 box into it also tho, just replace my whole rear deck with wood. my main intention for doing it this way is to make the bass less muffled by the seats, much harder to steal, and for the amazing look.

·
Registered
265 Posts
my thought is to get some free air subs and mount them str8 to the rear deck with no box.... and mount the amps under the deck... so nothing will be in the way and it will have enough sound to balance out the music

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I had mine done this way. You don't want to remove your rear packge shelf as it is part of the vehicles structural rigidity. You probably won't notice a difference in everyday driving, but the vehicle structure will be weaker in torsional rigidity.
I found the sound wasn't very good with the sub firing up into the glass window. Plus the box hanging down used up more space than I thought it would.
I removed the sub box but left the hole and the bass is much fuller with an in trunk box firing to the rear of the trunk. The hole is covered with the original upholstry so no one knows it is there. I removed the sound deadening material from the back of the ray cover and left the grey "carpet" intact (it is more or less acoustically invisible).

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great White said:
I had mine done this way. You don't want to remove your rear packge shelf as it is part of the vehicles structural rigidity. You probably won't notice a difference in everyday driving, but the vehicle structure will be weaker in torsional rigidity.
I found the sound wasn't very good with the sub firing up into the glass window. Plus the box hanging down used up more space than I thought it would.
I removed the sub box but left the hole and the bass is much fuller with an in trunk box firing to the rear of the trunk. The hole is covered with the original upholstry so no one knows it is there. I removed the sound deadening material from the back of the ray cover and left the grey "carpet" intact (it is more or less acoustically invisible).

Cheers

BJ

thank you for your info man, i just figured the 6x9s thumped amazingly well like that so a sub would also. but thanks and i guess i will be rethinking my box

·
Registered
17 Posts
great white

Could you post some pictures of the install. I'm about to install a single JL 10 in my rear deck but said that the sound wasn't desireable. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Honestly using the rear deck as previously stated is not the best solution for saving space in the trunk. Your best bet if your looking to do save space and not spend a **** tone on fabrication is to make your own fiberglass box. Your gonna need a tone of Fiberglass mat, Resin, and a **** ton of Advil, and a slight risk of a brain tumor but you'll be happy with the results. If done right it will be clean and not sound disimmilar to using a sub box. If you are somewhat curious as to how to go about this you are more than welcome to send me a personal message. We just finished doing this in an Integra and my Neon.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
interpretblurple said:
im doin the same thing but using a 12inch sub...the best sub for this idea is the pioneer shallow mount 12 or 10 inch sub
Clarions PDW is also an excellent choice. Car Audio and Electronics reviews said it was one of the best subs hes ever heard, shallow or otherwise. Also, I think Rockford Fosgate just came out with some new shallow subs.

Josiah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts