DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
$1000 worth of stereo equip. JACKED!!! NEW PICS!!!

So, I get pulled over Sunday 9am, and end up going to jail for reasons that are totally irrelivant to this thread, so don't ask.
Anyway, My car gets impounded by the Sheriff's office through a local towing company. I get out of jail Monday 9am and go straight to the towing company to get my ride. I pay the guy the $179 to get my car out. the guy unlocks the fence padlock and I proceed to get in my car...Stereo is GONE! I look in the trunk, Sure enough....My amp and subs/box are GONE!!! Needless to say, I was pissed! Also stolen were my CDs, and my Arnette sunglasses.

The guy said he didnt know how it could happen since it was locked up. (Exactly!) There were no signs of forced entry, no marks on the windows or trim where someone may have used a slimjim, nothing. Someone used the key! And there was no damage to anything! It was simply UN-installed. Not what you'd see if someone jacked your stereo off the street. (they would've broken something I think, like the radio bezel)

Anyway, after I cussed and stomped around the impound yard for a few minutes, I called the cops. While I'm waiting on the cops, the guy suggests that maybe I had someone steal my stuff, that it had to be someone who knew what was in the car, because no other cars in the yard were touched. Well guess what, from the moment my car went on the bed of the towtruck, I was in handcuffs on my way to jail, and was only allowed one phone call which was to my mother, and it was recorded. Nobody that I know, friends or not, knew where my car was being towed. So that rules his theory out.

I truley believe 100% that it was the towtruck driver. If you could've seen this guy (as I was watching from the backseat of the patrol car) 7ft tall, biker dude with tattoos from head to toe (even had a Harley davidson logo on his neck) he was really liking my car, almost salivating over it. I saw him nodding a "YES" motion as he looked in my trunk, which was still open. HE knew what was in my car. And when I asked how long the driver had been working there, six months. I'll tell you, I've been on my job for seventeen years, thats 17 years and I think I'm a pretty good judge of character. Theres people that've been with us for a few years, and we wont give them a key to anything. And they trust this guy?

Anyway, I filed a police report and the officer dusted for prints which he told me the towtruck drivers prints were going to be on there anyway, so it would'nt really prove anything, but he said he'd run a history on the driver to see if he had any thefts on his record. Gave me a card with the case number on it, and said they would investigate. (yeah right) He said I could only hope they would turn up at a pawn shop or something.

I guess I'm just venting ya'll, but I am open for advise or suggestions like; Should I sue the towing company? Or the Sheriff's office, for sending my car to such a backwoods ******* hole in the wall impound yard? I mean, aren't they responsible for securing my vehicle?

OOooo I'm getting more and more pissed the more I think about it

I wish there was a "Yosimite Sam" smiley that I could put here... :crying:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
No offense BUT LMFAOOO... any ways i hope you saved the recipets and file a claim with the insurance company thats probally your best best. Hey consider your self lucky that nothing was broken and all it was as a stereo and glass and a sub. In chicago if you get caught they pop holes in the speakers with pens which i feel would suck more considering you know its there and you cant use it. This is a reason to buy BIGGER AND BETTER

·
Registered
566 Posts
Your probably only going to be able to sue the towing company and maybe not even the cops usually have legal protection for liability, unless they violate your rights, sending your car to a backwards area doesn't count. I don't know if that's their 'regular' place but usually the cops deal with 1 towing company impound yard they have a contract with or whatever. The impound yard towing company is supposed to be responsible for your property so that is probably your best bet as far as suing someone.

Your pretty much screwed otherwise even if they find anything like his fingerprints all up inside the car/trunk and INSIDE stereo 'hole' area etc lots of busy prints. That doesn't prove anything other than he was 'playing' with your car? Again even if they find his prints there it doesn't mean he did it without a witness/video or him going to a pawn shop and selling the stuff.

Sorry you got hosed, did you talk with the yard's owner/manager to see what if anything they might do as far as compensating you or what their stance was? Or was the 'you probably had it stolen' their only position?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
As far as I know, if the have you vehicle in thier possesion, they are responsable for it's care. Therefore they are liable for any damages to your property. It's the company you want to go after, not the "biker guy". It was obviously someone who had time and access to the vehicle and the key. Seems the company didn't take "reasonable care" when in posseion of your vehicle to me. Otherwise, things would be smashed and ripped out, not simply removed.

You wouldn't happen to have pictures (preferably reciepts) of the equipment in the car would you? Only strengthens your case. Also take pics or the wire ends showing how things were removed and not ripped out. Take the pics as teh wires lay in the car, do not disturb them untill after you have taken the pictures. If you can prove it was carefully dissasembled, it only makes the impound lot look even worse (thief had the uninterrupted time to work, where the heck is thier security?).

Write down everthing that was said and done through the whole series of events right now. You may realize something you are missing about the event and it will also capture all the little details before they get clouded by time and rage in your memory.

Just calm down and plan your attack before you do anything. A hot head gets you no where with this type of thing.

What about an insurance claim on your car insurance?

Outside of that, seems small calims may be your only way to go.

man, that really sucks.

Good luck

BJ

*edit- here's a thought: does the yard have video surveillance? look for camera's in the yard before asking. Ask to see the tapes if so. If they refuse without good reason then they're likely hiding something (something they probably already know) and that will strengthen your case against them also.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Sorry to hear about that ED.... You did have a very nice set up there!!!! But as to the Tow truck driver...... Well, IMO about 90% of them will look over in/out of the car they have to tow in for a violation to see if it's something they want or can sell quick... Infact they could have drove the wrecker truck out to their house before dropping it off at their pound and took time to uninstall it. You may wan to check with your car insurance to see if you can recover something... Again sorry this had to happen ED!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Intrep_ED said:
So, I get pulled over Sunday 9am, and end up going to jail for reasons that are totally irrelivant to this thread, so don't ask.

HUGE SNIP
So wait. You are saying that the reason that your crap got stolen wasn't because you were arrested? The car was in the impound yard BECAUSE you were arrested. Understandable if you don't want to get in to the reasons why, but it IS directly related to why your crap got stolen.

Anyway, I'd look in to a small claims case against the impound yard if you have receipts to prove ownership. Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
im sorry for ya dude, i recently had my stereo jacked while i was at school in braod day light. the cop mustave been somewhat cool tho, the cop that i filed my report with didn't even give half a **** about anything, he was beening a complete ****ing arsehole. next time i see his extremely fat ass on his police bike im going to tackle him off and gracfully walk away. but i dont know much about the court system but i woud try to see if you could get a case on the towing company, report it to the b.b.b. (better businesss burral or how ever you spell it). i checked a bunch of pawn shops and gave them a discription of what was stolen and my number to let me know if it shows up. so try that.

but sorry for your losses

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
lowmazda said:
So wait. You are saying that the reason that your crap got stolen wasn't because you were arrested? The car was in the impound yard BECAUSE you were arrested. Understandable if you don't want to get in to the reasons why, but it IS directly related to why your crap got stolen.

Anyway, I'd look in to a small claims case against the impound yard if you have receipts to prove ownership. Good luck.

Nah, why the car was in the lot has nothing to do with what hapened to it while it was there and who is responsable.

Not in this case at least.

Although, I am curious about why they dumped you in the "dog pound".

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
01Intrepid said:
Infact they could have drove the wrecker truck out to their house before dropping it off at their pound and took time to uninstall it.
Yeah, and I'm sure the driver botched his log times too...

Tomorrow, I'll be going out to the place to take pictures of the gated area where my car was kept. While I'm there I'll make myself noticed with the camera, and then tell the boss guy that he'll be hearing from my lawyer, unless he'd like to settle out of court...$1000

I'm gonna call the local news investigation team, and maybe make a few signs while I'm at it. "First Coast Towing allowed my car to be burglerized"

What do ya'll think about that?

·
Registered
347 Posts
This reminds of when I took my car to Goodyear (Badyear) & they told me I needed a new engine. The same morning my dad was going to take me out there to have my car towed home, we got a call from Badyear saying my radio was stolen & that another car was broken into. I get in the car & sure enough there was nothing but wires where my Sony Xplod radio used to be. The trunk pass was folded down & I could see that my amp & my 12's were gone too! Badyear said they didn't see anything on the suveillance camera! What was it pointed at? The sky? My dad & I both agreed it sounded like an inside job. I didn't even bother going to the police. They aren't gonna do ****. All Badyear has to do is lie to the cops just like they lied to me. One other thing, when we came to get the car, they had signs posted saying they weren't responsible for the cars while they're in the parking lot. That sign was never there before! I'm getting pissed off all over again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am not sure about the rules in the U.S.A but Great White is right. In Canada when a inpound yard has your car it is covered by thier Insurance company. (They Will Not Tell You This). I had my car towed about five years ago and the rims where ripped off, I called my Insurance company and they contacted the yards Insurance Co.. Got a check a week later for 1800.00 for my rims and a rental from the yards Insurance Co.

:smiley_aa

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I agree with all of the above posts, and also want to re-iterate that you need to have some solid evidence about this. I know it seems open and shut, everything was in the car when it was put in the yard, then it was gone when they let you take it back. They might have been doing this for years and people were too afraid to do anything about it... or did and failed. Or this could be just the biker jerk who got a big hard-on for shiny metal and big speakers and just had to steal them to SOMEHOW put them on his bike. I know its not a time to joke but I mean you need to take some time to figure out what happened. I know you are pissed... I would be too! I've got about 600 or so worth of audio in my car and if something happened to that i would be pissed to the extreme. I think it was Great White who said to write down everything that happened so you don't forget things and possibly remember more. I know its a different situation but I don't know how many times I had to re-play my car accident in my head to all the insurance people, bank people, etc. I would just maybe write down what happened, sit on it for a few days to regain maximum composure, and then really crack down with the evidence and questioning. Anyone up for a game of Law and Order : AATRIYE? Law and Order : Automotive Audio Thefts Related to Impound Yard Employees.

If I understood correctly, you are saying that the biker punk said that you probably had someone steal it for you, so you could collect on insurance,etc.? If thats so, doesn't that seem a little defensive to you? He didn't offer any sympathy or help, he just blamed it on another person. I would really ticket him as a primary suspect, even though you would be better off facing the company itself in regard to the settlement. I would even milk this for pain and suffering, etc. Maybe talk to a lawyer and see his recommendation.

I wish I could help more.

Josiah

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lowmazda said:

This is true, if I hadn't been arrested, none of this would've happened. Point made. BUT, the reasons for my arrest have nothing to do with this burglary case. Lets just say you go to jail one night (for whatever reason) and you come home the next day to find your house burglarized. Are you going to blame yourself for going to jail? Think about it...

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JLWX5 said:
I agree with all of the above posts, and also want to re-iterate that you need to have some solid evidence about this. I know it seems open and shut, everything was in the car when it was put in the yard, then it was gone when they let you take it back. They might have been doing this for years and people were too afraid to do anything about it... or did and failed. Or this could be just the biker jerk who got a big hard-on for shiny metal and big speakers and just had to steal them to SOMEHOW put them on his bike. I know its not a time to joke but I mean you need to take some time to figure out what happened. I know you are pissed... I would be too! I've got about 600 or so worth of audio in my car and if something happened to that i would be pissed to the extreme. I think it was Great White who said to write down everything that happened so you don't forget things and possibly remember more. I know its a different situation but I don't know how many times I had to re-play my car accident in my head to all the insurance people, bank people, etc. I would just maybe write down what happened, sit on it for a few days to regain maximum composure, and then really crack down with the evidence and questioning. Anyone up for a game of Law and Order : AATRIYE? Law and Order : Automotive Audio Thefts Related to Impound Yard Employees.

If I understood correctly, you are saying that the biker punk said that you probably had someone steal it for you, so you could collect on insurance,etc.? If thats so, doesn't that seem a little defensive to you? He didn't offer any sympathy or help, he just blamed it on another person. I would really ticket him as a primary suspect, even though you would be better off facing the company itself in regard to the settlement. I would even milk this for pain and suffering, etc. Maybe talk to a lawyer and see his recommendation.

I wish I could help more.

Josiah
First of all, Thank you all for the responses!

Josiah, I never talked to the Biker dude, he was just the driver, who was convieniantly not there. His boss (The owner of the towing company, I presume) was the one I talked to.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The towing company IS responsible for the car when it is in their possesion. They could have all the signs they want posted but the law is on your side. Do what you plan, make it look like you have already contacted a lawyer, get a print out of the law in question, (best is to get it from a lawer on letterhead... that'll really scare them!)

from this page:
E. The owners of towing companies participating in towing assignments by the Police Department shall be responsible for the acts of their employees while on duty. Towing company shall be responsible for damage to vehicles while in its possession caused by the active or passive negligence of the offical police tow service.
Phone a local free legal advice line and they should give you all the info you need to scare the bastards into a settelment right quick. Just take any recipts with you to prove the amount so he dosen't feel like he's getting hosed.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.