DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It always sucks when the autoshop tells you that you need new lower control arms, a new water pump and timing belt, rear corner lights and window brake light, coolant flush, new alternator and power steering belt, and a new fuel filter. Realisticly what can i do on my own? I can get parts hooked up fairly cheap but labor is still expensive. Being 18 doesn't leavve me with a lot of money laying around and i have a feeling the shop was high-ballin with the $1200 estimate.......

If any of you guys could give me a detailed description on how to take car of any of these things it would be great. I know that the control arms are out of the question but if i can replace belts or something, let me know. Thanks for the help. This really sucks for me right now :(

·
Registered
638 Posts
What kind of car you got? The lights, belt, and fuel filter should be easy enough to do yourself. I've never done the other stuff before.

By the way, I would suggest getting yourself a Haynes and/or Chilton's manual for your car. The instructions and pictures are pretty good. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
One of the last things I did on my old intrepid was change the fuel filter. took about 20 min. Not hard really just getting those little retainer clips off is a bit tricky. If you do this make sure to disconect the neg. terminal on the battery and depressurize the fuel system first. (Explained in the Chilton manual, that can be picked up inexpensively). A manual can be a great investment if saving money by doing it youself is what you are looking to do.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What does he mean you need a new rear corner light and window brake light?

If it's just the bulbs that are burned out you can get all the bulbs you need for about $5 and they are very easy to install.

·
Registered
576 Posts
you can do it all on your own. Read up and ask questions. If youve got the tools and someone you know how to do it you should be able to do it for a lot less.

BUT by all means DO the timming belt and water pump soon. The water pumps like to go around and overheat motors which with these cars having alumium heads results in a blown motor.

but what is the mileage on the car? Asside from the water pump and timming belt every thing you mentioned is pretty easy....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts