DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 with a 2.7 kind of sputtered, maybe even a afterfire, while driving home. It immediatly died and would not start back up. I read these forums for direction and got a code reader. The code was 1391. I changed the crank and cam sensors. The car then actually started, but ran only at idle, and ran bad if I gave it any fuel. Check engine light and code 1391 remain. More forum research directed me to the cam chain. After slogging through the entire process of removing the chain cover, the chain looks OK, but I have not removed the intake and valve covers. This is an incredible amount of work to "check" if my timing may be bad.
My question is......After I changed my sensors, did I need to clear the code before it will run correctly?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,694 Posts
Check your wiring and PCM before the engine. The code is "intermittent loss of crank or cam sensor signal" So thats electrical most likely, not mechanical. Make sure either of the sensors are not defective.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for your quick reply. Can I Ohm out the sensors? I don't know any other way to check them.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,694 Posts
Problem with that is, all you can do really is check them for continuity. If the circuits are open, they are bad. They still can check out good with a meter, and be bad. They need to be checked with a scan tool. So maybe just take them back and exchange them for new ones. Check your ASD relay too, you can do this by swapping it with another relay and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put the engine back togther, disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour, started fine. As I slowly reved up the motor and released the pedal, the idle hung around 1200 to 1500 for a second or two, then dropped off to 750-780. I let it idle for several minutes and the car progressivly ran rougher until it could no longer hold idle and died. While it was idling I shook some wires @ the cam sensor, no help. Swapped the ASD relay with the Fan relay-no help. I am convinced this is something simple.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still runs like crap, when it runs. Still 1391 code. I guess I could try another cam sensor. This is frustrating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced cam sensor with new from dealer-no help. I am wondering if I should have gone for the cam chain. It is just that the problem happened suddenly. I could see it if it was a belt, but I would have to skip a tooth on a chain.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,694 Posts
Aesop said:
Replaced cam sensor with new from dealer-no help. I am wondering if I should have gone for the cam chain. It is just that the problem happened suddenly. I could see it if it was a belt, but I would have to skip a tooth on a chain.
I would think that if the chain was that loose, there would be other problems. These engines are interference, so if it was loose, I would think you would have noise, hammering, or other mechanical issues. Did you try the crankshaft sensor? Try that, and if that doesnt work, get the troubleshooting diagram from the FSM and follow it thru. PCM does come to mind too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts