DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of a milestone for these engines I guess. It just turned over 150,000 miles (242,000 km) tonight.

It's never been apart. But I'm looking into the timing chain set (w/guides, tensioners, etc + water pump) for replacement fairly soon.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really want to tear into this motor for the timing chains and water pump. I'd just as soon not have to worry about it. But based on history with these things, it is probably prudent to do so. A Chrysler Master Tech told me recently that the average life of the main chain is around 150K miles, based on experience at the dealership he works at.

I've been in touch with a few other people who have between 150K and 200K on their 2.7s that have not done any work to theirs yet. But we all seem to be in the minority with this sort of mileage on these engines. It just seems that it's a crap shoot with this motor. It's not like watching a fan belt or a tire wear out where you can see it coming and plan for it. Failure of the main chain or the tensioner seems to happen without any warning - and it's a catastrophic failure. With other types of failures, it's some inconvenience plus a few dollars and then you're back on your way. Not so with a chain or tensioner failure.

I plan on doing the work myself.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mines at about 120,000 and I've been considering it was well... Really hate to put it off and then have it break on me...

Let us know how it goes for you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts