DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is that its due to the nature of the wheels. I know there is less tire to absorb bumps so I can handle that. What I do not understand is why from fast speeds(45-55) to stop quickly, the car like to move to a side or both (back and forth) on its own. Why does it do this?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
mine did that. The back of my rotor was all messed up since the rear pad had no material left.

Feel ur front rotors. Mine felt like it was gonna lose control and fly off the road when i pressed the brake really abruptly.

Either that or warped rotors. Check the brakes, replace them if u need to and that should fix it.

UR wheels are fine, dont worry about the centering stuff, that doesnt apply to ur issue. Its a serious wobble, its the brakes for sure. Not sure which side of the rotor, mine was all scraped away on 1 side, driver, side facing the engine (side you dont see of the rotor).

IF you let the steering wheel move on its own (hold it but just gently) if u see it move like crazy (clock, counterclock) thats what mine was doing. After i got new brakes + rotors. IT runs like new.

Chrysler charged me a nice 70$ for a front end alignment and they tested it at low speeds.

Mine did it from 80kph and on, mainly at 110kph brakes. Under that i could hear and scratching noise but no wobble.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
No, I am completely oblivious what to look for and theres no way I can get under the car. I have no jackstands or anything.
Theres a jack in ur trunk, jack it up and take the wheel off, and have a look at the rotors and pads.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
No, I am completely oblivious what to look for and theres no way I can get under the car. I have no jackstands or anything.
turn the wheels to the max in either direction. Put ur hand through and feel the rotor.

IF u can fit ur hand through the rim that will work also.

But it sounds a lot like warped rotors.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
i noticed with my tires, it grabs the road much more, has to do with the tread and the width of the rubber on the road. I never noticed it on my first gen, but the second gen with the wider tires it much more noticable

J

·
0 Posts
It could be a combination of anything, but I'd bet it's really a suspension piece that is allowing the wobble to happen.

Tie rods, sway bar maybe?

Oh, also, I forgot to mention.

When my tires were worn, there was a lot of wobble happening.
I had 2 mechanics and myself included present go thru the entire suspension, replaced many things, tightened up a lot of stuff.
The only thing that cured it completely was a set of new tires.

Sometimes the center of the tire thread will "cave" at pressures, that's why it seems like the car is bumpsteering.
I suggest more pressure in them, see if that helps, but don't go too high.
Tires can handle about 60PSI, so go 44 or less see if it helps, just beware of potholes and heavy bumps like speed bumps.

·
Registered
851 Posts
how oftern does it happen? maybe your new 17 inch tires grip the pavement different. pavement irregularities can pull your car one way or the other under braking

or worn bushings creating a little bit play in the front end? that being the case though as mentioned you probably would have felt it with the 16's on there

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it may have a good portion to deal with the roads. Our roads blow around here. The difference in road traction and handling is very noticeable. It is tolerable just worrysome. I rarely go over 45 to 50 due to city driving, but if something happened I would have to be very alert to stop right. It only happens when I slam on the brakes, so I plan ahead more and counteract by just putting both hands on the wheel.

Seems like its just the way things are with 17's and the tires I have. I am almost positive my braking components are sound but I will get them checked out. Looks like its just gonnah have to be dealt with.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does the whole car go side to side or just the steering wheel? Does it only happen while braking?
If it’s just the steering wheel while braking, either the rotor is warped (from over-tightening the lug nuts) or the hub bore is not the right size so that when you tighten down the lug nuts the rotor is bending(this happened to me).

It also may be a worn suspension part. If the tires are gripping the road better, the car will wander if there is any loose suspension pieces.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
I think it may have a good portion to deal with the roads. Our roads blow around here. The difference in road traction and handling is very noticeable. It is tolerable just worrysome. I rarely go over 45 to 50 due to city driving, but if something happened I would have to be very alert to stop right. It only happens when I slam on the brakes, so I plan ahead more and counteract by just putting both hands on the wheel.

Seems like its just the way things are with 17's and the tires I have. I am almost positive my braking components are sound but I will get them checked out. Looks like its just gonnah have to be dealt with.
BRAKES>>>!!! mine worked flawlessly too.. untill i got the brakes replaced. Mine only did it at high speeds. My car had low km as well like 27km when i the rotors were all warped. U dont see the back side and it gets worse over time.

I would check brakes before everything else. The other factors are minimal compared to the brakes.

If the wheel moves like u have to grip onto it or ull drive off the road. ... its the brakes for sure.

Its hard to replicated. Pretend like u see a jumping ball or something ... literally slam on the brakes. My car would not do it. Like a mechanic tested it out on the road and he said i pay attention to too many things.

But when i had to brake really abruptly the whole wheel and car would shake like mad.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
Im gonnah get those brakes checked, you have convinced me.
LOL ... do it urself..... CAn u take off the wheel?? ITs easy after that... just feel the rotor for bumps and try to turn it ... (put tranny in N)

Get a visual inspection. IF they drive it around it will be fine since u only feel the slip and grab at high speed when the friction is a lot greater

1 - 20 of 20 Posts