DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
17MPG on my 1994 intrepid OTIS !!!! The oil filter and air filter are new. No codes (only 34-cruise control thing, has nothing to do with the MPG).
Should I first replace the O2 sensors? How to? How much are they at the dealer? How hard is replacing them?

A stupid question, how to release the clamps on both sides of the accordion tube?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
17MPG on my 1994 intrepid OTIS !!!! The oil filter and air filter are new. No codes (only 34-cruise control thing, has nothing to do with the MPG).
Should I first replace the O2 sensors? How to? How much are they at the dealer? How hard is replacing them?

Another question, how to release the clamps on both sides of the accordion tube?

Thanks!
Don't know about o2 sensors
Just make sure you check these too:

Dump some fuel injector cleaner down the tank.
Check the spark plugs and replace if old.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I went from 26 to 17 for the following reasons. (I am back at a 23-26 range now).

1. Bad O2's -- I splurged and replaced them all. You don't have to replace them all, I just figured I would get everything done as long as my neighbor had to be tinkering with the car. $235 at Autozone, if I recall correctly, with $90 labor.

2. I am a high school teacher -- I was carrying around 3 different textbooks, and enough supplies to open my own Office Depot. Empty the junk from the trunk! It's a huge difference.

3. Too much gunk...I seafoamed it 2x, got rid of all my "check engine" codes, especially the annoying EGR one that put the car into factory mode. The seafoam is $6/can where I am....do that on two fill-ups, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

4. What kind of gas are you buying? The Shell gas around here is the most watered-down garbage imaginable. And usually the highest priced!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know about o2 sensors
Just make sure you check these too:

Dump some fuel injector cleaner down the tank.
Check the spark plugs and replace if old.
The spark plugs are still good, they're also not that old. I'll try the fuel injector cleaner.

highway or city?
Mixed

I went from 26 to 17 for the following reasons. (I am back at a 23-26 range now).

1. Bad O2's -- I splurged and replaced them all. You don't have to replace them all, I just figured I would get everything done as long as my neighbor had to be tinkering with the car. $235 at Autozone, if I recall correctly, with $90 labor.

2. I am a high school teacher -- I was carrying around 3 different textbooks, and enough supplies to open my own Office Depot. Empty the junk from the trunk! It's a huge difference.

3. Too much gunk...I seafoamed it 2x, got rid of all my "check engine" codes, especially the annoying EGR one that put the car into factory mode. The seafoam is $6/can where I am....do that on two fill-ups, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

4. What kind of gas are you buying? The Shell gas around here is the most watered-down garbage imaginable. And usually the highest priced!
1- Oh, I thought they were much cheaper than that, I can't pay 200$ for them, gas prices here are very low, so I really don't care that much. (91 octane > 12 cents/liter - 95 octane > 18 cents/liter).

2- The trunk is empty.

3- I don't know what seafoam is. I'll search here and in wiki.

4- I don't live in the states. We use 91 octane gasoline here, and it's great.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
My old 2.7 was getting 20-21 miles highway. My 3.4 Impala is getting 30mpg!!!

I am sure it's been mentioned above, check and replace the upstream O2 sensors and imo, I would put a bottle of Techron in the tank before you seafoam it. Trust me on that!!!!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Flathead screwdriver, just pop tab up a little bit to disengage the teeth. You can remove and replace them with screw clamps if you want.

·
Registered
443 Posts
yea, x2... if that is city or mixed driving with no cruise, you're doing good...
What? Doing good?? No way. You should be able to get 22-23mpg city and highway..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Higher octane gas does equate to lower gas mileage (it's counterintuitive but the very things that increase the octane rating generally decrease the energy content per gallon by as much as 10-15%). It sounds like you don't have any choice in the matter, but you generally don't need that high an octane rating unless you are driving around Death Valley or the Dead Sea.

O2 sensors can make a difference. The OBD I has a very wide tolerance for sensor variability, because the catalyst on all pre-96 vehicles is for carbon monoxide (CO)/ hydrocatbon (HC) only. The default mode (in the event of sensor failure) operates with a lot of air and they can be nearly non-functional without tripping the Check Engine Light (CEL). But replacing them all after 100,000 miles can tighten up the operations for air and fuel. OBD II (1996-present) is a three-way catalyst and requires absolute control of O2 in the exhaust to keep the catalyst working correctly and not burning it up.

I can't remember for sure but it seems the pre-1996 Gen 1 Intrepids usually have 2 sensors.

Tire pressure and a good pressure gauge. I always run at least 32 psig and typically 36.

AND don't forget alignment.

Seems like there are links on the site for seafoam. Here is the commercial link:
Sea Foam

Techron is a trademarked name of a Chevron gasoline additive for cleaning the fuel system. Google "Techron."

Hope this helps. Mine gets 25-26 mpg in combination. More than 32 on highway.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thats wierd, shell gas around here is the best stuff around, usually about midrange price.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Mine reads 19.9 in pure city driving. Highway will spike it quite a bit.

Its hard to tell which O2's should be replaced for the best gain without removing them, and at that point you might as well replace them right? It wont hurt anything to replace them all ...except your bank account.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.