DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
My 03 SXT came with 16s

Seems as though all of the 02+ Treps came with 16s.

The 01 RT may have been the last Trep to have 17s.

·
Premium Member
16,953 Posts
Acceleration and braking would be degraded slightly, but for daily driving, no big deal. Ride would be a little rougher, and as Hank said, tires more expensive apples-to-apples.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
My 03 SXT came with 16s

Seems as though all of the 02+ Treps came with 16s.

The 01 RT may have been the last Trep to have 17s.
02 RT's and SXT's had chrome crusaders.

That's a pretty good deal, the tires alone are more than that package(if new). Just make sure they have their center caps because that's about $60-$70 for a new set. You'll like the look and feel of the 17's.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
02 RT's and SXT's had chrome crusaders.

That's a pretty good deal, the tires alone are more than that package(if new). Just make sure they have their center caps because that's about $60-$70 for a new set. You'll like the look and feel of the 17's.
It appears that they are there. If not i do have all four center caps on mine. And it came with 16's on my SXT. The tires on my car are like brand new and are fantastic in the snow and on ice. Lots of that up here. And run those 17's in the winter. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If you are concerned about speedo errors, consult someone with a DRBIII. With that, you can change the pinion factor in the TCM to make the speedo read more accurately.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As long as the overall diameter is within an inch, your speedo will be fine. I went from stock size tire(speedometer read a hair high) to some 18s that have tires a little over an inch taller, and only read 1mph slower at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
16,953 Posts
As long as the overall diameter is within an inch, your speedo will be fine. I went from stock size tire(speedometer read a hair high) to some 18s that have tires a little over an inch taller, and only read 1mph slower at highway speeds.
Also, with typical new-tire tread depth of 12mm, over the life of the tire tread, the effective tread diameter will drop over 0.9" (in your case, making the speedo/odo readings more correct).

·
Registered
345 Posts
What's the exact size of your tires on the 18''s and also. This might be a dumb question but how can you tell the speedometer is off with bigger wheels? Do you get someone with a radar gun to clock you? I don't get it lol.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Couple different ways

In order of accuracy:

Use a GPS unit

Drive 60 mph and keep an eye on a stopwatch as you pass the mile markers

Have someone drive behind, in front of, or beside you (where possible) with the cruise set on a flat road

·
Registered
364 Posts
those look great on a Trep....just be wary of the chrome peeling on the wheels.....I've seen alot of that problem with the chrome crusaders in my area, INDIANA, because of the snow, salting in winter but not sure how other non snowy states do with the chrome....I skipped Dodge/Chrysler's wheels all together and hit up my local Discount Tire and got 18's and 45 series tires to fill my wheel wells more and my 2000 R/T Trep rides like a dream! Any upgrade from the stock 16" wheels would be an improvement....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts