DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be getting a 1969 Dodge Dart, It has 48000 orginal miles and was driven by an old lady, it has been sitting for about 7 years. It has a slant 6 either 225ci or 170ci. I highly doubt it will run. I kinda wanna restore it and maybe do an engine swap eventually.

What you guys think?

-BobVila

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
sounds like it'd be fun to put a 383 in it :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd perfer the 340 since it was an engine option it would probably be easier for me.

-BobVila

·
Registered
558 Posts
Once had a 69 Dart GT 340 CUI 275 HP. Bright green with the psycadelic vinyl roof. Big 60 series rear tires and raised rear end. Floor it and the rear screeched like there was no tomorrow. Fast too. 3 SPD auto on the column. Basic on the inside but all engine.
Raced a vette and T/A and was well ahead of them til I came to a curve in the road and had to slow down. The thing couldn't take a corner for all the pesos in Mexico.
Those were the days.

Danny
Capitalcity R/T
01 Black Chrysler Intrepid R/T
Man, is it dirty. Between the snow,and freezing rain, then the salt trucks...I'm too embarrassed to drive it. Not worth washing. By the time I'd get home, it would be filthy. Yuckkk, do I hate winter.

·
980 Posts
you will have to find a v8 crossmember for your dart to put any v8 in,you will also need 8cyl torsion bars and 8cyl transmission as none of the 6 cylinders equipment will work with any v8.you should change thr rear to 83/4 unit as the six cylinder is too weak,and you may need different drive shaft so if you want to swap find a parts car or be prepared to spend hours looking for parts no longer made just some words of caution

·
980 Posts
was not trying to rain on your parade, just give you a heads up on what would be involved, you might be better to restore it with the 6 cylinder.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Here are some examples I dug up:

Engine www.jasperengines.com

1975 Jasper 5.9L V8 (Carbed): $2000

Transmission www.jasperengines.com

1975 Jasper A727 (Auto) $1105

(Though the trans Bob has may be good enough.)

Rear End

Slant 6 diffs were pretty stout, slip in a set of gears and he'd be good to go with the power a 1975 5.9 would put out. (Around 250hp stock.)

Swap Kit

Schumacher Creative Services http://www.engine-swaps.com/ sells a swap kit that would allow Bob to go from his slant 6 to a V8 without using a new crossmember for around $200.

So, that is about $3,500 for all new parts. Of course he could go the junk yard route. Buy an emgine and have it rebuilt etc, it would be a lot cheaper that way, although he would still need to get the swap kit.

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts