DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a b-100 van to restore.the charging circuit is giving me a problem. 225 6cy.It charges but only just 2 or 3 amps.Enough to keep battery charged if everything ok. problem is that if you leave lights or something on for a little while the battery goes dead. as i remember when you have left lights on or something on for a little while it should charge 30-50 amps.then come back to zero or close.i have replaced the regulator,altenator,amp gauge { just incase it wasnt accurate}.also put a ground wire from the regulator to the negative of the battery.Any help would be appreciated. thanks chuck

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,418 Posts
So basically, you are saying, if you drive with a major accessory on, such as headlights, the battery goes dead? I am assuming the battery has been tested and is good?

I had a 77 for a while, its charging system was always testy. I kept cleaning connections and replacing regulators for a while and eventually found a loose spade terminal at the alternator. Re-soldered it and all was good. Mine would either over charge and blow lights, or not at all though. It should return to near zero once it is charged up...this is normal...you are correct, when something gets turned on that draws a good amount of power, the alternator should compensate. Cool old vans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
78 b-100

So basically, you are saying, if you drive with a major accessory on, such as headlights, the battery goes dead? I am assuming the battery has been tested and is good?

I had a 77 for a while, its charging system was always testy. I kept cleaning connections and replacing regulators for a while and eventually found a loose spade terminal at the alternator. Re-soldered it and all was good. Mine would either over charge and blow lights, or not at all though. It should return to near zero once it is charged up...this is normal...you are correct, when something gets turned on that draws a good amount of power, the alternator should compensate. Cool old vans.
the battery is new and good. no matter what it doesnt charge enough. let battery run down and it still doesnt charge more than a amp or two.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
sounds like the regulator is probably gone. happened on my old valiant. it still had the points type regulator. alternator would put out enough for the engine, even the lights if i used them, but not charge the battery. i'd have to jump the alternator input to the output for 5 minutes or so to get enough charge to start it again.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,418 Posts
sounds like the regulator is probably gone. happened on my old valiant. it still had the points type regulator. alternator would put out enough for the engine, even the lights if i used them, but not charge the battery. i'd have to jump the alternator input to the output for 5 minutes or so to get enough charge to start it again.
I agree...my 77 seemed to eat them until I found the bad connection....test all your wires, and check/clean all the connections, then swap out the regulator...

Uses this sucker IIRC...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts