DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The 1980 Mirada will either have a slant 6 or a 318, if it's just a base model. They are both mated with the A904 transmission, like the old 727 trans. An indestructible combo. Just watch out for rust. some of them had some rear end problems, but that was mainly the mid-late 1980's M body cars.

Gas mileage is going to suck. If you are looking for a 500.00 beater car, look for an older FWD Chrysler, like a K-car, Shadow, Spirit...etc. They are usually a peice of cake to work on, reliable, get great mileage and there are plenty of them. I owned about 10 FWD Chryslers back when I lived in MN.

As for transporting poochie, I always cover the back seat with an old comforter, which happens to be my dogs favroite blanket.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Here's a thought:
I bought a premium rear seat doggie car cover for $100. So far Nicky (my dog) has had one "accident", one barf, endless drooling, snotting, toy chewing, and scratching with no effect on the seat underneath.
The key is to spend the money on a good one with the padded bottom so his claws or any........ummmm........."liquid".........won't get through to the seat. It also slips on and off with simple elastic straps that wrap the seat, and it only takes about 10 secs.

So, 100 bucks for a quality cover or 500 bucks for an older, gas guzzling, wallet sucking repair monster that will in all likelyhood be demanding more money soon.

Your choice, but the cover works great for me.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt86 said:
The 1980 Mirada will either have a slant 6 or a 318, if it's just a base model. They are both mated with the A904 transmission, like the old 727 trans. An indestructible combo. Just watch out for rust. some of them had some rear end problems, but that was mainly the mid-late 1980's M body cars.

Gas mileage is going to suck. If you are looking for a 500.00 beater car, look for an older FWD Chrysler, like a K-car, Shadow, Spirit...etc. They are usually a peice of cake to work on, reliable, get great mileage and there are plenty of them. I owned about 10 FWD Chryslers back when I lived in MN.

As for transporting poochie, I always cover the back seat with an old comforter, which happens to be my dogs favroite blanket.

it does have a slant 6, i have herd before that they are bulletproof. i once had a 1993 sundance, that was the biggest piece of ****that i have ever owned, so i am looking for a car with at least a 6 cylinder, or maybe a v8. something i can actually drive, andmaybe have some fun with once and a while. i know the mileage would suck, but i dont go up there that often, so that dont matter too much.
and as for the seat cover, he is forever walking around from front to back, and sheds like 30 pounds of hair every 2 minnutes, and thats another reason i want a dog car, so i dont have to vaccume every time i go.

if that link didn't work, here is what the page says,

Price: $500 or Best Offer
Color: White
Miles: 81,000
Engine: slant 6
Transmission: Automatic
VIN: XH22CAR136590

Description: This car is almost extinct! It was only made for 3 years and just a total of 5120 ever made! It is the sister car to the Chrysler Cordoba. The body is in pretty good shape. It starts, but needs a fuel pump, when it runs, it hesitates and bogs down when you step on the gas. It needs some engine TLC! This would be an EXCELLENT car for parts! It has white exterior with burgundy interior. 2-door with slant 6 engine. I must sell-with a new baby on the way now, we need more room!! Open to offers. Thanks for looking!! Thank you~

Options: Air Conditioning, Bench Seat, Cloth Upholstery, Cruise Control, Power Brakes, Power Steering, Tilt Wheel

·
Registered
39 Posts
my grandpa had a cordoba that thing was a tank! and hella fun...he posted a OBO and needing a fuel pump...if i was u i'd go over there and say "well since it needs a few things ill give u $300" then shine him with the 3 hundred dollar bills i bet he'll take it

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The guy says it's excellent for parts?

She's gonna cost you more than 500 bucks before you can drive it I'll wager.

The leaning tower of power was an excellent engine from a reliability standpoint. What I would be concerned about with the vehicle is the crappy car attached to it.
Ie:exhaust, brakes, radiator, rust, etc.

Usually, people hoping to sell a reasonably drivable car don't list it as "excellent for parts" unless they know it's a piece of crap.

If you do buy it, make sure you Pay ALOT less than 500 bucks or move on to a better deal.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Great White got it down to the bone.

I got a free POS 86 Cutl-ass Supreme 307 that was sitting in a barn for 5 years. I was going to use it as a beater car (as my only method of transport at the time was my two feet). I ended up dumping 500 bucks in to it in the first week. I had to replace all the rubber parts, transmission, brakes and a bunch of other little things. Once I got the Acclaim running again, I gave the Cutlass to a friend, who sunk another 500 in it a few weeks later. Right now, the trans is on its way out, so were going to enter it in the demo derby.

The moral:

A 500 dollar car is going to need $1,000 in repairs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If it's not too late to get an opinion in... I had a 1980 Mirada, owned it many years, and it was the biggest pile of crap I ever owned. It was the kind of car that almost put Chrysler out of the car business. I could give you a huge list of the problems. You would laugh. You would cry. You would not buy an Mirada unless it was the last car on Earth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts