DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...All! I'm looking into buy a 1986 Dodge Daytona. I'm buying this car off of a guy that i bought my very first car off of. It was a 1988 Dodge Shadow. Well this guy just went out and spend 14k on a Dodge Demon with 750 HP, So his wife is getting pissed and making him sell the Daytona. He said he put 6k into the motor, and has 2k in parts he will also give me. I seen the parts, he has the original motor, 2.2 Turbo, automatic transmission, a few altinators, starters, turbo's and an extra set of rims and tires, he tore apart 3 daytona's in the process of making this one. he said it does 12.82 in the 1/4 at 121 mph, but that is with the turbo turned all the way up to 30 pds. The paint job is only 3 years old, the interior/exterior is perfect. He said he tested the car on the "dyno" (i think thats what he said) and it has 280 hp, the original 2.2 turbo's come with 142 hp stock. so he doubled the horsepower. I don't have any doubt in believing him about the car. I trust him. But i want to know if anyone has ever owned one of these or heard anything bad about one of these. I did a little research and read the the 2.2 turbo was one of the most reliable engines that crysler ever built. The reason i'm doing all this research is because i didn't do it with my intrepid or i wouldn't have gotten a 2.7L. Well Lemme know. Please....if i get this car i'll be smoking mustangs, camaro's, and Intrepids.....LOL

·
Registered
240 Posts
i dont see it running 12.8's @ 121 mph. the mph is way to high. that would be more im the high 10's at 121. should be about 105 or so.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i had an 88 daytona before i bought the intrepid but it didn't have turbo
but it was still an overall good reliable car
it was fairly comfortable on long trips to
and the 2.2 is a good reliable engine

·
Registered
189 Posts
the 2.2 can have problems with head warping ( like any aluminum head/cast iron block engine) especially under extreme use (like drag racing) and lunching timing belts at high rpm (which can also happen with any OHC belt)...however if this guy has spent loads on the engine its a pretty safe bet he has already addressed these issues. I personally like these cars but have seen more than a few with body rust and interior pieces falling apart. (lets face it, Chrysler was crawling out of a hole when they made these cars and they cut a few corners)...but like any other car, you can always find good examples that have been worked on and cared for...we don't have the benefit of seeing this car firsthand as you do. At least if you know and trust this guy he probably wouldnt have any issues with answering any questions about the mods he did if you were to have any problems...check Allpar.com and see if this is one of the year models that had a water jacket around the turbo bearing area (this greatly extends the turbo life by preventing oil coking on the bearings)...or maybe he upgraded to one...auto or 5spd?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Car is a 5 speed, he is also giving me an automatic transmission, an extra turbo, and a whole bunch of other parts....there is 2 things wrong with the interior, their is a crack about 1 1/2 inches long on the arm rest, and a rip in the driver side seat about 1/2 inch long....other than that their is no rust or anything else wrong with the interior.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The 2.2 turbo with an intercooler put out 176hp....you have not mentioned it has an intercooler. Sounds like you have the 145hp turbo and the guy messed with the wastegate on it so it runs on overboost. Not the best thing to do...that wastegate is there to keep the turbo from building up too much pressure in the cylinders which could blow your head gasket, your pistons,etc. As far as killing Mustangs and Camaros......as a comparison, a Daytona R/T with the turbo-intercooled-16 valve 221 hp motor could hit 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and top out at 149 mph, so I'm guessing with 180 hp, youd be hitting 60 in about 7.0 and topping out at around 135mph ......so you could give them a run for thier money, even beat someone if they're a bad driver. However, I would be cautious about buying any car that's been "tinkered" with from someone, as far as using as my only car, unless it's a second car and you are just using it occasionally?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing this guy hasn't done to this car was put an intercooler on it. He has put $6,000 dollars into the engine..and it has 280 hp not 180. I bought my very first car off of this guy and i've known him long enough to know that he wouldn't sell me a bad car. He planned on keeping this car, but instead fell in love with a Dodge Demon so he bought that and is now selling this car.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
DaddyKinn said:
The only thing this guy hasn't done to this car was put an intercooler on it. He has put $6,000 dollars into the engine..and it has 280 hp not 180. I bought my very first car off of this guy and i've known him long enough to know that he wouldn't sell me a bad car. He planned on keeping this car, but instead fell in love with a Dodge Demon so he bought that and is now selling this car.
280hp on a non-intercooled TI?

Fat chance. Not without some major, horrible, not good reliability issues.

[Monty Python]Run away!!![/Monty Python]

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The 2.2L's were solid engines. Can't say the same about the turbo. Had a couple probelms with them overheating once or twice.

Considering that a factory 2.2L with Turbo I was 146hp, with Turbo II was 175hp, w/ turbo II and computer upgrade was 225hp.

Click here and scroll down to "Racing - Plymouth Horizon, Dodge Omni GLH" and see what these cars are made of

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
The 2.2L's were solid engines.
I know what they are made of, I am well versed in these cars.

Taking a TI and running enough boost to make 280hp, without intercooling is not a wise thing to do, and anyone who would by such a car and expect it to be reliable is a sucker.

Forgive me for being blunt.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
The 2.2L's were solid engines. Can't say the same about the turbo.
Should have read "The 2.2L's were solid engines. Can't say the same about the 2.2L turbo"

After about 50,000 or 60,000km, our 2.2L Turbo came with a free connecting rod thru the engine block.

My 2.2 non-turbo lasted over 200,000km if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would be afraid with that type of boost, it would blow the motor to pieces .... I have had quite a few of the 2.2/2.5L (turbo's, TBI's, 2bbl carb's,etc...)and I can say as far as reliability goes, outside of the head gasket and timing belt issues(some of the early ones would chew up camshafts) they are pretty reliable motors, however they are not exactly designed to handle that kind of boost/HP and I think the block/crank/ pistons/head would not be able to withstand that kind of abuse for any length of time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The turbo is only running on 7 lbs. of boost, i never said the turbo was turned up to the max 30 lbs. or w/e i don't know who said that. I will email the guy and ask him what all he did to the engine...

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Mudvane said:
TurboDodge.com

Donovan's Dodge Garage

30psi... non-intercooled... gimme a break...
LMFAO.

Ok, I'll give you a break.

With proper fuel managment, timing retardation, proper gas, better efficiency turbo, tinkering with the engine internals, etc, you can run 30lbs of non-intercooled boost on the engine, but no where near as reliably as an intercooled one, and I maintain that it isn't wise.

Besides, I don't know of any turbo Dodge running that kind of boost without cooling. Can you link me to a specific one?

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
DaddyKinn said:
The turbo is only running on 7 lbs. of boost, i never said the turbo was turned up to the max 30 lbs. or w/e i don't know who said that. I will email the guy and ask him what all he did to the engine...
There is no way he is producing 280hp on only 7lbs.

Something sounds fishy.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
DaddyKinn said:

7 LBS and 280 HP does not work. $6000.00 in engine work could make the parts strong enough to take 280HP. With 2.2L and 7 LBS there is no way to make 280HP. The 2.2 is a very good engine for its time. It was powerfull and had good reliability. The problem is it was never designed for that level of HP. If you buy the car don't expect a good daily driver. Cars like that are best driven 1/4 mile at a time on weekends and parked during the week.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HATERZ!!! lol j/k well hmmm. uhhh. i believed him but now that their are so many people saying that it is impossible, oh well.....i still want the daytona i have wanted one every since i got rid of my Dodge Shadow....the major thing i'm liking about buying this car off of him is the fact that he is giving me another 2.2L turbo engine, automatic transmission, another turbo, and all kinds of other parts that i'll need if the car ever breaks down.....After i buy the car i will post pictures...."Beautiful Car."!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts