DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Not on here much as I don't have one of these cars right now(sold my Eagle Vision TSi several years ago). Might go look at a '93 Concorde with 71,000 miles....has a few noted issues, radio antenna,heat/AC blower stays on,power seat does not move forward,needs wheel alignment.....most are minor issues to me(I hope,lol!). So my major concern and question is this....owner says it has a shifting issue, I assume not shifting properly, he states that if you shut the car off and then restart it that it will shift fine. Any concrete answers, thoughts, suggestions?? As always any info much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
Need more details on shifting issue. On 2nd gen, if you get up to a certain speed and it goes into limp mode (drops to 2nd gear and stays there, resets if restarted), problem is usually a bad trans. speed sensor. There are two (two different part numbers) - replace both. I would assume 1st gen will behave the same way if bad speed sensor.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,105 Posts
I had pretty much the same issue in my 2002 Special. Basically the same transmission. Turned out to be the Solenoid pack that was replaced at the dealer.

Mine would be fine once started and on the highway. Once I slowed down and got off the highway....limp mode upon downshifting. Pulling the PCM fuse in my case would reset it but after a few miles of stop-n-Go driving back to limp mode. For cars with a separate TCM like 1st gens pulling the TCM fuse might reset.

However....mine would not reset with just an ignition cycle. I had a 1993 Intrepid as a company car that would do what you describe occasionally. Go into limp mode and an ignition cycle/restart would clear it up. Didn't happen often enough to have to get it taken care of. 1993 was first year of production for the LH cars. Would really need to get the underlying codes read to troubleshoot reliably. Tough on early 1st gens due to OBD-I. Input/Output speed sensors are cheap enough to try as a shotgun approach. Probably less than $20 each.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. Contacted the owner and this is what he said.....................................I wish I could tell you. It's very intermitting. Could drive for days and it shifts perfect. Then from a stop it seems not to shift out of 1st gear. If you turn off and restart it immediately goes back to shifting normal. And this...................The fact that shutting the car off and restarting corrects the issue leads me to believe it's a relay or something electrical. Any further input greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
587 Posts
speed sensors starting to go out do that too.
it may also be some slipping under certain conditions that causes a speed ratio error.
but until you know the codes of exactly the problem, it's a guessing game as to what's causing limp mode.
later second gens were more prone to valve body solenoid troubles.
as above, a speed sensor change has the best shot at rectifying it without knowing more.
and it's gonna be hard finding someone to scan a pre-ob2 car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have not gone to see the car in person but it looks REALLY clean in pics. Asking price is $1500, not sure how low he will go but don't think he will get much interest(could be wrong)with tranny issues. If I like the car I might low ball an offer and see what happens. Don't want to be too deep into the car.

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
if it is limp mode (and almost certainly it is), it's stuck in 2nd gear (not 1st) when the problem occurs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I 2nd Ronbo on the shift solenoid pack. I have a '95 Concorde that had the exact same issue as you're describing. I read somewhere there's a heat sensor within the solenoid. When it starts going bad, it'll send a overheating signal to the tcm. Thus, throwing the trans into limp mode. Fortunately, I was able to fool mine by adding an auxiliary transmission oil cooler w/ a small pusher fan. No limp mode since November 2019! She's been my reliable daily and has seen many beach trips and a long trip to the mountains of NC last year. All without a hiccup! I can't guarantee this will work for you, but it maybe a cheap alternative.
Here's the reality of the situation... These cars were never meant to be saved. Many are long gone and decent used parts are becoming extremely rare. Even sourcing new parts has become a challenge and N.O.S. is hit and miss on eBay as well. Nearly everything from suspension to sensors are special order from the big box parts stores. Will a 1st gen LH ever be a desired collectable? Only time will tell. Right now, it seems the market is hot for 70's and 80's malaise. If you can snatch it for $1000, fix her back to factory, and treat her like a time capsule... you may just found yourself a diamond in the rough. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lexacocca, thanks for the reply. Does the transmission need to be removed to change the shift solenoid pack or can it be done while remaining in the car?? I know these cars are not very desirable, hence my apprehension in pulling the plug without further info on what I am in for. Won't be able to look at the car for a week or two because of other things going on. Was thinking of throwing a $750 offer at him before I even go look at the car. If he is not willing I might just pass on it. Time will tell. Thanks again.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,105 Posts
There used to be a thread about swapping in 2nd gen transmissions into 1st gens. Same transmission....slight mounting difference.

1st gens 1993-1997
2nd gens 1998-2004

I believe one hole had to be drilled in the flex plate or transmission bellhousing to get the mechanical fit. Not sure about the electrical connections. Check the 1st gen forums for a how to or thread detailing the swap. 2nd gen transmissions should be more readily available. I believe it was Devon that did the write up. Might've been Chewyvette also. My tiny brain can't remember exactly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lexacocca, thanks for the reply. Does the transmission need to be removed to change the shift solenoid pack or can it be done while remaining in the car?? I know these cars are not very desirable, hence my apprehension in pulling the plug without further info on what I am in for. Won't be able to look at the car for a week or two because of other things going on. Was thinking of throwing a $750 offer at him before I even go look at the car. If he is not willing I might just pass on it. Time will tell. Thanks again.
The transmission doesn't need to be removed to replace the solenoid pack. It's mounted on top of the valve body, above the pan. Of course it's easier using a lift, but ramps work too. Be very cautious when replacing the solenoid as there are springs between it and the valve body. It goes without saying to keep any and all dirt away.

As for the other known issues... Ditch the power seats for manual seats from a 1st gen Intrepid. The plastic guides between the tracks will break off and will cause the worm gear to bind. (LOL ask me how I know.) Replace the power antenna w/ a fixed antenna from an Intrepid. As for the HVAC... Of course check your relays, but the control pod below the radio maybe the culprit.
As for the alignment issue... check those pesky inner tie rod bushings, outer tie rods, control arms, steering rack bushings, strut rod bushings, and struts.
If everything else is ok mechanically & cosmetically and you can buy it for $750 I'd say go for it!
Here's where the line is drawn price wise... A: Are you wanting to drive it as your daily or B: as a project car to save and show?
A will eliminate the emotional factor and should be easy to walk away on price.
B is being prepared to exceed the car's value for perfection.
Sorry for being long winded, but I hope it helps you out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There used to be a thread about swapping in 2nd gen transmissions into 1st gens. Same transmission....slight mounting difference.

1st gens 1993-1997
2nd gens 1998-2004

I believe one hole had to be drilled in the flex plate or transmission bellhousing to get the mechanical fit. Not sure about the electrical connections. Check the 1st gen forums for a how to or thread detailing the swap. 2nd gen transmissions should be more readily available. I believe it was Devon that did the write up. Might've been Chewyvette also. My tiny brain can't remember exactly.
I still wish our cars came with a manual option!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again Lexacocca for your insight. Car would only be bought for a spare for the household and/or a run around car. Don't need it for a daily. Closing in on my mid fifties and really don't want to lay under the car. I called my local Aamco for shits and giggles to get a labor price on just installing the shift solenoid....with new fluid about $325. That does not include the close to $200 for the part and also does not include new input and output sensors. Also not included is the possibility of rebuilding the valve body. I'm guessing in the $700-$800 range at best. Will be putting more thought into it before making a final decision. Once again, thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts