DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this has been going on for quite a while and its getting a bit annoying...I will be driving down the road or sitting at a light and my car will just quit randomly...even on the highway at times or going up hills... Takes it a few minutes but then it will usually start back up. (although a couple times it wouldn't start and we noticed that we had loss of power inside the car, like door locks, windows, and no dash lights). Has been doing this for the past 6 months but lately it seems to be doing it a lot more often. Throughout this time, my check engine light has never came on. We did the key trick and got a code 12 21 21 55, was going to go get an O2 sensor but my step dad advised me not to saying that it wouldn't solve my problem so we didn't. The next time it died, we checked the codes again and now the codes are only 12 55. A couple weeks have went by and that is still the only codes we are getting. My boyfriend is not a mechanic but he tries hard to fix things. So far hes replaced the ignition switch, crank shaft sensor, and the AIC module, cleaned the MAP sensor, tested the cam shaft sensor, the MAP sensor, and checked for loose wiring and looked for vacuum leaks. All the tests were good showing the right voltage like the book told us plus we have researched some stuff online. We also went to a mechanic shop and had him hook my car up to a computer and to test our fuel.....hooking it up to the computer showed nothing wrong and he said that everything was good with our fuel..... My car hasn't failed to start yet since we replaced the ignition switch and plus we haven't been having power issues any more but it still stalls on us.....its weird, like if we just let it idle for awhile then all of a sudden it will idle too low and die. We have talked to a few friends that work on cars and they said its sounding like its the module which is actually located in the PCM on my car.... I don't have the money to just go throw it around on all these different parts so I just wanted to see what your guys' input was on that...I'm a poor folk so if that is the problem, I guess I will be saving up some money to replace it. I am just exhausted stressing about this car all the time...I'm a full time student, work, plus a mother of 3 children so I really need my car fixed. All input is greatly appreciated! Sorry for the length, just wanted to make sure I include everything that we've done or noticed.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I would have said check the IAC or EGR but you said you cleaned the IAC and the cars not pulling codes. normally the EGR will pull codes. Next time it cuts out and wont restart listen to see if the fuel pump kicks in

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I think he had checked the battery and connections but I want to check them again just in case...last night we unplugged the battery to reset the codes and now the engine light came on for the first time ever.....checked the codes and its back to the 12 21 21 55. I am on my way to school and work so I will pop on here after work and let you guys know what I find out.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If the cats are plugged it could cause the 02 sensors to code. In turn the computer may be overcompensating and causing the car to run rich which will cause stalling at idle and deceleration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would give the battery and connections a good look over.
Well I checked the battery and its connections and every thing looks good to me. My boyfriend is out of town for the rest of the week for work but soon as he gets back friday I can have him double check them as well. I just can't believe how hard its been to fix it ...crazy. My engine light was off today and not showing any codes besides the 12 55 again. I'm about fed up with it but I'm gonna have to stick it out for awhile I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the cats are plugged it could cause the 02 sensors to code. In turn the computer may be overcompensating and causing the car to run rich which will cause stalling at idle and deceleration.
I'll have him check the cats out as well thanks tons for trying to help guys, I will keep you all posted! Wish me luck, I need it at this point lol

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
An additional 2 centavos:

If the engine controller is not storing any DTC's, I would suspect the battery itself has an intermittent internal short or, you have a connection issue at the B+ feed to the PCM. If a problem exists and the PCM loses the info it's usually due to loss of power. (Or a faulty PCM).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok boyfriend came back to town early so he got to check the car out for a bit today. He checked the battery cables and he said they may have had a loose connection but he tightened everything and looked at all the wires...When he took the negative cable off the battery we noticed that right where that negative cable hits the battery, its melted. Its so weird because the cable isn't melted at all but the top side of the battery has a melted spot on it as if the cables had melted part of my battery. Had my step dad come look and he said usually that doesn't happen to a battery unless someone jump starts the car wrong or something. Anyways he said that still probably isn't our problem but we should look into how that happened as well and get that fixed. blahhhhhhhhh...if it aint one thing its another. My boyfriend plans on working on the car more this weekend so he will check out the other things you guys suggested then. Also once we tightened up the battery cables and stuff the car died again. We did notice when it died that about 5 seconds later it sounded like something turned back on right behind the engine. Not sure if that helps with diagnosing anything but figured I would mention it just in case ...Thanks you guys and yes i will definitely keep you all posted :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was sitting here reading other peoples problems to see if any one is similar to mine and realized that I totally forgot to add that my car also seems like it has a miss in it before it stalls. Can't believe I forgot that in my first post ....oops

1 - 12 of 12 Posts