DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 1993 dodge intrepid sometimes when I'm driving the car will stall. Sometimes it will start itself back up but more and more I have to pull over and let the car sit for half an hour before it will start again.

I took it to a shop about two weeks ago, they said tune up. That did'nt fix the problem.

Someone suggested cleaning battery terminals so I did that too.

I guess what I will do next is fuel filter.

Any suggestions would help me immensely.

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
As Maverick9110E has stated, check your engine codes. I bet that your crankshaft and camshaft sensor needs replaced.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will check into those sensors next. I do not get a check engine light, that is one of the more baffling things. The only light that comes on is the cruise control light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am getting improper reference voltage (4.3v) to the crankshaft sensor. Are there any common reasons for this? Like any place around the engine that wires like to melt?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Those hall effect sensors go bad for no known reason.

Problem: Stalling & intermittent no-start.
Engine: 3.5l V6 24 valve.
Solution: Check the computer codes. Are you getting an error #11? Check and/or replace your crankshaft sensor. Sensor can be reached by jacking up the passenger side of the car. Sensor is located between the firewall and engine on the bell housing.
Tools: Use a 10mm socket wrench with 6" extension.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the crankshaft position sensor with a voltmeter and determined it was bad. After I replaced it I checked the trouble codes. I still show a bad crankshaft pos sensor. Also the list contains: 54 camshaft position sensor, 22 coolant temp sensor, and 21 O2 sensor.

Are any of these systems interrelated enough to cause some of these trouble codes. Could low fuel pressure signal the O2 sensor and then in turn somehow trigger the cam and/or crank position sensors being bad?

Any thoughts please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I just cleared them again. I guess I did'nt disconnect the battery long enough, it takes longer than I thought.

Now the only code I get is 12 - battery has been disconnected within last 50 starts.

Just to let you all know... with your help I just fixed my car for $30.00. I took it to the shop two weeks ago and they told me it just needed a tune up. I kinda knew it was wrong but I went ahead and let them do it. With their diagnostic charges it was the most expensive "tune-up" in history, $466.00

This was the first time in about 7 years I have taken a car to a shop. Usually I can fix my cars myself. I live in the Denver, Colorado metro area. Here we have a problem. There does'nt seem to be any honest or qualified shops here. Everyone has been screwed by, it seems, most of the shops around here. The only reason I took it to a shop in the first place is, since it was an intermittent problem, it intimidated me. Well, this is hopefully truely the last time I allow myself to be screwed by a Denver shop again.

Thanks again everyone! :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Congrats on getting it fixed.

Now all you have to do is fix the other errors.

Problem: Stalling, gauges jumping, dummy lights flashing & intermittent no-start.
Engine: 3.5l V6 24 valve.
Solution: Check the computer codes. Are you getting an error #54? Check and/or replace your camshaft sensor. Location is on the front, top of the engine.
Tools: Use a 10mm wrench.

Replace your O2 sensors (You're milage may increase too.)
Replace your Coolant Temp Sensor

Hardwarz
www.hardwarz.com/personal/dodge_intrepid.htm

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
With their diagnostic charges it was the most expensive "tune-up" in history, $466.00
What did he "tune-up" the car or his wallet???? He must have gotten confused and thought your car was different Diamler/Chrysler product.... A BENZ:D :D :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He he he.... no doubt about the wallet thing, maybe he thought it was a Lambo division product.

Hardwarz; so far I have driven over 25 miles and checked the codes again. There arent any being shown. Hopefully none will crop up again in the next few days regarding this current problem.
Will keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is it possible for the crankshaft sensor to go bad, but not register in the PCM? Im talking where it operates, but after getting to normal temp, causes the car to die? Then wont restart between 3 to 10 minutes? The are cranks and cranks, but wont catch fire and start up? Everything I am reading on these boards is pointing to my issue of the car dieing, but there are no codes related to the crankshaft sensor. We already replaced the Camshaft sensor months ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, that sounds like the problem I was having for sure. With my experience I would definitely tell you to replace that crank sensor. My car has not had the problem since.
Hope this helps ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts