DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I didnt know if this was the right place to post this but I was thinking of trading in my 95 Concorde for a 94 Chevy Impala SS I really like this car especially the 5.7 V8 in it and its amazing how well the car holds its value. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever owned one or knows any one that has one and if they are a good car

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about the interior how does it compare to a Concordes is POS GM interior or what I still have to test drive the car BTW I just saw it in a car ad I have heard that they have no tach

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
They hold their value well because they are borderline collector status.

They have most of the key ingredients of a musclecar.
While not a 2 door they are V8, powerful, RWD and reletively cheap as a new car.

It's odd how much I like LT1 Impala SS but can't stand to get near a Caprice Classic and can you believe a Buick Roadmaster is based on the same car.

Why they sold a ton of those things and nobody wants a Mercury Marauder is beyond me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Theyre good cars, essentially police issue caprices rebadged. They come with factory oil and transmission coolers just like the cop cars. I was actually looking for a 9C1 Caprice (cop version) when I bought my intrepid. You can swap in a T56 6 speed manual trans from a camaro/firebird too. I'd trade my intrepid for an impala ss any day.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
My buddie just bought one last summer and he's in love but I wouldn't trade my Trep for one! Winter is coming and I'm sure he'll be less happy with it when there's snow and ice on the streets ... :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
D76G12 said:
My buddie just bought one last summer and he's in love but I wouldn't trade my Trep for one! Winter is coming and I'm sure he'll be less happy with it when there's snow and ice on the streets ... :)
Yea that is the only shitty thing living here in Nebraska is the snow maybe I will keep the Corde and try and get a loan to pay for the Impala.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ward said:
Theyre good cars, essentially police issue caprices rebadged. They come with factory oil and transmission coolers just like the cop cars. I was actually looking for a 9C1 Caprice (cop version) when I bought my intrepid. You can swap in a T56 6 speed manual trans from a camaro/firebird too. I'd trade my intrepid for an impala ss any day.
Hell yea I would love to put the 6 speed in it that would be one bad ass Impala

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
my dad accually has a impala not sure about what it isi think 2000. its ok on the inside. i wouldnt want one though. i like the trep

·
Registered
689 Posts
If it's a 2000 Impala, then it's nothing like the '94-'96 Impala SS. As has been already explained here, the Impala SS in question is RWD, and LT1 powered. In 2000, the Impala was FWD and V6. As much as a brand new Impala SS is about as fast as a '94-'96 Impala SS, the '94-'96 is considerably cooler.

Man, if you can get it, go for it!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
i was corrected a long time ago that the new impalas are luminas, which is pretty much true. its just a bigger lumina, same engine and all. the new SS impalas are pretty dumb too.

if you can get that car, man go for it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hecubus said:
If it's a 2000 Impala, then it's nothing like the '94-'96 Impala SS. As has been already explained here, the Impala SS in question is RWD, and LT1 powered. In 2000, the Impala was FWD and V6. As much as a brand new Impala SS is about as fast as a '94-'96 Impala SS, the '94-'96 is considerably cooler.
Ya, the new "Impala" or "Impala SS" can't hold a candel to any Impala '96 or before, if only because they aren't V8 RWD.

My friend's dad has had a '94 SS since '96. I like the '94's because they have the digital dash, but the '95 and '96 have a console shifter.

Interior wise they are equipped the same as the 1'st gen Intrepid but have no Climate Control. I don't think they have Traction Control either, but I'm not sure they are very well equipped drive train wise.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well, I think saying the FWD Impala SS can't hold a candle to the B-Body Impala SS is a little excessive. I mean, in a drag race, it'd be insanely close, and I'm fairly certain that the FWD would have a marginal handling edge over the B-Body, as it weighs about 500lbs less, and is a newer car. The B-Body, however, has the RWD dynamic going for it. And, they've both got a decent aftermarket. The LT1 was used in the Corvette and Camaro, so there's a large aftermarket for the B-Body, but then there's quite a few cars with the supercharged 3800 that are very fast.

As for looks, the B-body kills the FWD Impala.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Rear wheel drive isn't all that bad in the winter. I drove a 88 firebird (5.0L) year round for 6 years! I was plowing snow on many ocasions, no problems. Just buy yourself some really good winter tires (michelin are best IMO). A few sandbags couldn't hurt either.

Anyway, just don't let that stop you from getting the car, I'd go for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts