DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at doing an engine change on a mid 90s Caravan - It has a 3.3 that rattles like a diesel, but is otherwise in decent shape. It is our shop's car-pool vechicle, and will see about 90-100 miles of daily use, Monday through Friday. The shop used it for about 3 months before it went south, and have been waiting to scrap it out.

Well, I have a spare motor from my parts 1995 Intrepid, again a 3.3. The shop wants to swap motors.

I can change an LH motor in my sleep - but what about the mini-van 3.3? Anyone know if that motor comes out the top at all? I don't doubt I have to change several things, that's not a big issue for me. I know the upper intake is different, and I'm guessing the accessories are in different spots, no big deal IMO. I just need to know if the motor pulls from the top at this point.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought only the LH mount on the side of the block was shaved off, meaning you couldn't take a minivan motor and put it in the LH - I'm going from the LH and putting it into the mini-van...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I thought only the LH mount on the side of the block was shaved off, meaning you couldn't take a minivan motor and put it in the LH - I'm going from the LH and putting it into the mini-van...
Common sense tells me that should work fine.

The motor comes out the top.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Possible, but no one has ever looked for the opposite. I would assume whatever machining done to either setup would render using it int eh other application useless. Chance in 93 there is a different casting that allowed for both Van and LH Vs earlier models.

I never honestly compared same year 3.3 blocks to each other.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to do some looking at the mounting bosses. Honestly, till you posted that info to jog the memory, i hadn't even considered that as a problem.

Glad to know it comes out the top, Micholob - that clears that hurdle as we don't have a hoist here.

I'll post up what I find. In the mean time, I have PM'd Minivanin, but he hasn't been around since November.

Thanks guys.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I googled "intrepid engine caravan"

The boss is back so I suppose I will have to get back to work.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure the passenger side mount is milled down - but I'd also be willing to bet that the passenger side of the block has room to co-exist in the bottom of the van - dunno, will dig the car and van out of the sticks tomorrow.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, from the top side I see no reason why it won't work - I have to get it up in the air a few inches to see what the back lower mounts look like - right now it is sitting in a weeded lot with one flat front tire, so I couldn't shimmy myself under the car to look. Gotta get the pig and inflate the tire, then drag the ramps down there to check it out better. Waiting for a free weekend with decent weather when I don't have my boys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts