DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my A/C is starting to cut out on me when I am at a stop. Or when stopping. But I can turn it right back on and it works until I am stopped or stopping again. Any thought? Car has new battery.

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
By "A/C is starting to cut out", do you meaning the compressor cuts off or the cabin fan cuts off, or you just notice warmer air comes out of the vents?

Possibly the refrigerant charge is getting low. Has it ever been re-charged or topped off? Even normal "negligible" leak down could drain a system over 25 years, or maybe there is a larger leak from 25 year old hoses, connection o-rings, or components (compressor, hoses, evaporator, etc.). Might want to have system charge/pressure checked.

Measure system voltage at battery at lower engine speed/idle to rule that out as a problem. If below 13.5 volts, might be a problem. (Make sure alt. belt not loose or worn out allowing alt. slippage.)

Are the radiator fans working properly? The car moving may be providing enough condenser air flow for OK A/C operation, but car not moving would not cool the condenser, causing system pressure to drastically rise, causing whichever computer that monitors A/C system pressure to protect the compressor by turning it off until system pressure equalizes due to compressor being off and you manually cycle it off and back on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By "A/C is starting to cut out", do you meaning the compressor cuts off or the cabin fan cuts off, or you just notice warmer air comes out of the vents?

Possibly the refrigerant charge is getting low. Has it ever been re-charged or topped off? Even normal "negligible" leak down could drain a system over 25 years, or maybe there is a larger leak from 25 year old hoses, connection o-rings, or components (compressor, hoses, evaporator, etc.). Might want to have system charge/pressure checked.

Measure system voltage at battery at lower engine speed/idle to rule that out as a problem. If below 13.5 volts, might be a problem. (Make sure alt. belt not loose or worn out allowing alt. slippage.)

Are the radiator fans working properly? The car moving may be providing enough condenser air flow for OK A/C operation, but car not moving would not cool the condenser, causing system pressure to drastically rise, causing whichever computer that monitors A/C system pressure to protect the compressor by turning it off until system pressure equalizes due to compressor being off and you manually cycle it off and back on.
Nothing like that. I will be driving and the display will start to flicker and dim on and off. Then it will just turn off. And then I'll have to turn it back on. So I believe it to be an electrical issue. I will have to check the connections when I pull the center console out when I have to replace the ACM.

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
Here is a recent thread that may help: ATC module problems

As you will see, I failed to notice that his car is also a 1st gen, and I gave him the whole wagon load on a similar problem common to 2nd gens. and the fix. But he did find similar cause of failed solder joints in his 1st gen ATC head unit. You may find your solution there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts