DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom owns a 1996 Dodge Caravan. The local shop here in town is who we deal with, because we are good friends with a few of the guys who work there and we know the owner and hes helped us out alot, but giving us free stuff. The heater and the a/c only work on high or off. We replaced the blower motor and it didnt change. The local shop guy says it could be a relay, but he cant figure out where its at. But if he knew where it was at he could replace it and all that.

I dont want to go to the dealership in this town, because we had so many problems with the dealership in this town. If any of you can remember my car problem.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It's a resistor pack that has a 'thermolink' (temperature fuse) along with the 3
wire resistors that give you the speeds. Two nuts and a 4 pin plug takes it out of the
heater/fan housing,under the hood on the left,I think. Our Dodge van at work did the same thing. One member said he bought the thermolink at Rad Shack. Or you can replace it with copper wire...
Run away from the 'local shop'--This is a common prob with all Dodges..he should've known about it.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the local shop does mostly tires and oil changes. They do simple crap. There really a tire shop, alot of tractors, dump trucks and cars go their for tires. How much was it? Could you do it in step by step or would it be harder.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Open the hood. Put the hood support in it's designated location to support the hood open.
Remove a 4 wire electrical connector on the blower housing. Remove two small nuts that hold the resistor pack in the housing. Remove the resistor pack and look closely at it.You'll see three wire coils.
The three different sizes of coiled wire are the three resistors. The other little tube-thing in it is 'open' as in will not conduct electricity. Replace the link, or jumper it with wire.
Replacement is reverse order of the above removal procedure...
(cheap fix!)

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, I will let you know how it works. Kinda sucks going down the interstate talking on the phone and it being hot out and trying to hear the person over the a/c.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We try to help...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts