DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here and I'm soon to be the owner of a mint condition 1996 Eagle Vision TSi with under 40k miles here within a few months and I just have a few questions here. It states in the manual that the 3.5L is recommended a minimum of 89 octane, but runs 87 octane "satisfactorily", and gets a boost from 91 octane. I live in Alaska and the mid grade up here is 88. Will the engine run ok on 88 if for whatever reason I have to cheap out and can't use 90(our premium)? Also, while the passenger airbag cover hasn't really begun to peel yet, is there any preventative measures I can take against it peeling any further? And finally, what's up with the multifunction stalks and why do they all look so white and crusty? All information is much appreciated, and I can't wait to own this beauty and get to enjoy autostick.

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
I don't know the answer to your octane questions, but I would think it will run smoothly on any of the common octanes, though power and mileage may be optimum at a particular one, which also depends on altitude.

I agree that chalky looking multifunction switch with faded paint markings is a real eye-sore, especially if the rest of the interior is in good shape. Aftermarket has some very good multufunction switches that look factory. Shee-Mar brand is good - I replaced the switch using their part for both my 2nd gen. Concordes just for the esthetics of nice black color and perfect white paint markings even though the factory switches were still working fine. You need Shee-Mar model SM139, Ebay & Rock Auto. Ebay is best price at $45 including shipping.

To replace the switch, you'll need a special socket - it's inverted Torx size E4 (at least that's how it was on my 2nd gens. - I assume it's the same on 1st gen.) That's very small. Harbor freight and Advance Auto have E-torx sets that go down that small (much better price at HF).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, interesting. I will make sure to keep that in mind, though I plan on swapping it out with a NOS OEM switch, as well as swapping out the cassette only head unit for a refurbished head unit with the CD player as well as an added aux jack. I've also heard people and their doom and gloom with fuels with ethanol damaging the fuel system/engine in their older cars, though the manual says ethanol fuel is fine. Should I worry about that or not really?

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
The car has likely had ethanol-containing fuels in it since it was built about 25 years ago. Pretty much any degradation of plastics has been done that it's going to do. It's not like starting to use ethanol-free fuels is going to rejuvenate those materials and keep them from failing, assuming they are degraded from it. You might get some minor power and efficiency gains from using ethanol-free fuel, but it won't make up for the additional cost per gallon. That said, I use ethanol-free fuel in all my vehicles and lawnmowers.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hello fellow Eagle Owner. Nice to see one around here.

You can run the 88 octane fine. The car has knock sensors which detect preignition and retard timing. This of course kills performance to a degree. But being one point off I doubt it's an issue.

Airbag deal, keep it out of the sun and clean. But it will eventually curl. Mine has slowly over past 16 years sadly.

The multi-function switches who knows, some have just repainted the original with better paint. I've just learned to live with mine?

Welcome to as any questions. I've owned mine for 16 years (was my first car) and have many, many manuals for them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well ever since I was younger, I’ve always had a taste for 90s cars, and I love the styling and the sports sedan qualities of the Eagle Vision. I’d also like to eventually get my hands on a first gen Chrysler Concorde as well for a winter daily driver that I don’t care as much about. Thank god airbags back in the day weren’t fully integrated into the dash, so removing it should be easy. I might see if there’s any passenger airbags in decent condition at a pick and pull to swap out. I am anticipating the Autostick the most though, and having 200+ HP and Ft/lbs of torque.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Well ever since I was younger, I’ve always had a taste for 90s cars, and I love the styling and the sports sedan qualities of the Eagle Vision. I’d also like to eventually get my hands on a first gen Chrysler Concorde as well for a winter daily driver that I don’t care as much about. Thank god airbags back in the day weren’t fully integrated into the dash, so removing it should be easy. I might see if there’s any passenger airbags in decent condition at a pick and pull to swap out. I am anticipating the Autostick the most though, and having 200+ HP and Ft/lbs of torque.
Does it have A/s already in place? IF not may bew wired for it but it was easy for em to wire mine in (mines a early early build 93) so it is def worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's a 96 TSi, so it came from the factory with A/S. No asinine wiring job and TCM replacement for me, and I also much prefer the shift knob that came with the autostick models as opposed to the normal one, and the raised area around the shift boot makes the bezel look just a little less cheap to me. Glad to hear you've enjoyed your eagle for so long, how many miles have you logged on it? At 38,000 miles, mine is looking like it has a very long and happy life ahead of it.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Yeah it's a 96 TSi, so it came from the factory with A/S. No asinine wiring job and TCM replacement for me, and I also much prefer the shift knob that came with the autostick models as opposed to the normal one, and the raised area around the shift boot makes the bezel look just a little less cheap to me. Glad to hear you've enjoyed your eagle for so long, how many miles have you logged on it? At 38,000 miles, mine is looking like it has a very long and happy life ahead of it.

Bought her with 108K on it. Current sits little more than 258K miles now. Most of the driving duty now sits with the 2001 Charger Pursuit I have but no matter what the Eagle gets inside the garage. I recently swapped in a older 3.6 Stroker build so that I can eventually work towards rebuilding the original engine with some Can Am parts I've hoarded for 8 years or so.

I had a 96 TSi for a while, sold it to a friend who needed a car for super cheap. And last night I was either going to buy it back for cheap, or some one else. Some one else who is/was a member here bought it and I hope will do great. Last photo of the two together. ( extra note: If you look close and noticed Mine (sitting on left) is sitting lower that's is because she has Eibach Lowering springs along with a whole lot of suspension goodies. She isn't fast with the 3.3 but by god she flat as a pancake in griddle on curves. )

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought her with 108K on it. Current sits little more than 258K miles now. Most of the driving duty now sits with the 2001 Charger Pursuit I have but no matter what the Eagle gets inside the garage. I recently swapped in a older 3.6 Stroker build so that I can eventually work towards rebuilding the original engine with some Can Am parts I've hoarded for 8 years or so.

I had a 96 TSi for a while, sold it to a friend who needed a car for super cheap. And last night I was either going to buy it back for cheap, or some one else. Some one else who is/was a member here bought it and I hope will do great. Last photo of the two together. ( extra note: If you look close and noticed Mine (sitting on left) is sitting lower that's is because she has Eibach Lowering springs along with a whole lot of suspension goodies. She isn't fast with the 3.3 but by god she flat as a pancake in griddle on curves. )
God I love Visions, such aesthetically pleasing cars, inside and out. Also just curious, is it okay to flush my 42LE of ATF+3 and swapping it out for ATF+4? I don’t want it to end up like it would if I put dextron in it, grenading the transmission.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
God I love Visions, such aesthetically pleasing cars, inside and out. Also just curious, is it okay to flush my 42LE of ATF+3 and swapping it out for ATF+4? I don’t want it to end up like it would if I put dextron in it, grenading the transmission.
I did that along time ago, although I am pretty sure they can mix with no harm effects. Biggest suggestion for Transmission life is a Nice fat cooler on it. Cooler Transmission is a happier Transmission!

Also don't forget to change out the diff fluid as well (sperate sump takes gear fluid. Wanna say 80w-90 but brain farting atm)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did that along time ago, although I am pretty sure they can mix with no harm effects. Biggest suggestion for Transmission life is a Nice fat cooler on it. Cooler Transmission is a happier Transmission!

Also don't forget to change out the diff fluid as well (sperate sump takes gear fluid. Wanna say 80w-90 but brain farting atm)
I’ll keep that in mind, as I’ve heard one of the biggest issues with 42LEs aside from the Dextron mixup is them overheating and grenading. However I read that Autostick equipped 42LEs actually have bigger transmission coolers so that’s a welcome surprise. Also is that diff in the front, or rear?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I’ll keep that in mind, as I’ve heard one of the biggest issues with 42LEs aside from the Dextron mixup is them overheating and grenading. However I read that Autostick equipped 42LEs actually have bigger transmission coolers so that’s a welcome surprise. Also is that diff in the front, or rear?
I wouldn't say specifically A/s equipped has bigger coolers.... They have a package where an external cooler was used but it is kinda small (IMO) although better than nothing. Aftermarket cooler would serve better than stock external one for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't say specifically A/s equipped has bigger coolers.... They have a package where an external cooler was used but it is kinda small (IMO) although better than nothing. Aftermarket cooler would serve better than stock external one for sure.
I’ll keep that in mind, but if it makes my 3500mi trip without issue, I don’t think I’ll opt for one. After all, I live in Alaska, and I’m sure a beefed up transmission cooler would be more of a necessity if I was in somewhere like Texas or Arizona.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, considering the car is 24 years old, is it possible that there already could be a leak from the differential into the transmission? And if so, is there a good way of detecting that?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Also, considering the car is 24 years old, is it possible that there already could be a leak from the differential into the transmission? And if so, is there a good way of detecting that?
I have never personally seen it happen, however there is a area between the two where a leak is possible that has a weep hole (I believe) that would indicate this. I feel chances of this happening are very very little. Not impossible just unlikely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have never personally seen it happen, however there is a area between the two where a leak is possible that has a weep hole (I believe) that would indicate this. I feel chances of this happening are very very little. Not impossible just unlikely.
Alright then, I probably won't worry about it. Btw, do you happen to be on the west coast? I could let you have a look at her if you're not too far out of the way on my trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Sir. Tennessee Here!
Oof, quite out of the way of my trip, lol. Also gotten a few more questions. Does the Eagle Vision TSi have the airflow restrictor I've read about, and if so, how hard is it to remove and what are the performance and noise benefits? I do want my car to be a little more throaty, without making it illegal levels of loud. And what is the suspension layout for LH cars? Macphersons in the front and multilink in the rear?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Oof, quite out of the way of my trip, lol. Also gotten a few more questions. Does the Eagle Vision TSi have the airflow restrictor I've read about, and if so, how hard is it to remove and what are the performance and noise benefits? I do want my car to be a little more throaty, without making it illegal levels of loud. And what is the suspension layout for LH cars? Macphersons in the front and multilink in the rear?
There is a cone for air silencing in the intake bellows. Not too hard to remove. Def adds more noise. You can open the air box up a bit on the bottom and you will def hear some intake noise.

Suspension I believe you are correct in the terminologies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts