DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to these cars, have had mine for 2 years now with 138k miles. Car runs amazing. With this heat wave we are having my car just randomly redlined on my way off the highway. Now after driving maybe 15min the heat gauge will shoot to red and itll start having coolant push out of the reservoir. It has no pressure until it starts over heating, so I don't believe its a blown head gasket. I'm almost 100% sure its my water pump. I checked the thermostat but looks to be running open(has none). This all said, I see no coolant at all leaking anywhere, I ran it with the radiator hose off where it holds the thermostat and It doesnt seem to be sucking any coolant down to the water pump. Im just trying to be sure before I try fixing it myself, or if I'm better off just taking it to the shop. I also cannot figure out if its a 3bolt or 6bolt water pump. Is calling a dealer with the vin the only way to know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its only stared over heating once I hit traffic. I drove 33miles on the freeway and it was running normal temp. Im reading it could also be the PCM.. The fans kick on as soon as its at running temp, so i know my fans are good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some more info.. So I know it blew out a lot of coolant. Everytime I filled it back up, there wouldnt be any making it into the top rad hose. When I did get it to the top rad hose it built a bunch of pressure and then shot it back out the reservoir.. Witch is another reason I feel like its my water pump not pulling it down into itself. Would air in the system cause this?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Thermostat?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Failing water pump or clogged radiator. Take your pick.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Air in the system that hasn't been purged?

You're obviously omitting details on things that have been done.

How about some detailed history including when the problem started and all the things you've tried to do to repair it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It started after I drove home from work. Was on the free way for over 30mils with my AC on. As soon as I got off and was hitting traffic and stop lights the heat gauge started to climb. Eventually before I could get home it was redlined and shooting coolant out of the reservoir. I’ve tried purging the system but it again starts pouring out of the reservoir once it hits running temp. I haven’t been able to try much considering I don’t know what to do. I’ve looked all over the internet and it points me in about a thousand ways. Just looking for ideas from people who have experience with these. I’ve only ever messed with the 4.0 inline 6. Witch is a lot more simple lol..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts