DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i'll be totally honest...
I had no real idea where the hell to put this, i thought maybe the audio section, but its not really electrical related..

i'm currently driving my dad's 1997 Ford Taurus GL back and forth to school/work everyday
why not the Intrepid, the beautiful car in my sig that runs perfectly fine, you ask?
because i'm trying to keep the milage on it under 7k in one year, in order to get the low milage discount on my insurance
so until May 19th, i'm pretty much stuck driving the tan Taurus

its ok though, its not a bad car really, i mean, its not as nice as my car but the 3.0L Vulcan is pretty peppy and its comfortable inside

however, my Intrepid has my Alpine 9851 CD player in it

the Taurus?
a tape player, which is currently the cause of my problems:

I own a Sony portable CD player that has the car kit with it
I got it for my Intrepid, but I tried using it in the Taurus and the tape player hated the car kit tape, but soon after I got my ES and it worked fine in that until I got my headunit

but now i'm trying to use it again in the Taurus, so I dont have to listen to the ****ing crappy radio while I drive to school, and its not frigin working...

the exact issue is that the tape player will play the tape for a bit, then switch sides, then switch back and forth and back and forth... It never stops

Its not just the Sony tape that does this either...
at some point somebody in my family purchased a Radio Shack walkman to tape adapter, and i found that tonight and tried it too

IT DOES THE SAME FRIGIN THING!!! :banghead:

i dunno how to fix it other than just repeatedly hitting the switch side button, which gets old fast

anybody out there have a solution???

thanks for reading my really long ass post

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
ok inside the radio both wheels for the tape have to turn. if you have a cassette adapter with 1 wheel gear its not good. u need an adapter with 2 geared wheels so that both wheels turn at the same time. The stupid tape deck thinks one wheel stopped and is causing it to flip sides. So go to radioshack. look for a cassette adapter that has both the takeup wheel and the supply wheel teeth.

the one u have sounds like or looks like one wheel gear the other wheel is empty or has no gear to turn. Try a regular music tape to make sure the car cassette deck plays ok. if the music tape works.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=J20UBCGYO5ZW1KC4D3GVAFI?id=cat13506&type=page&skuId=3510454&productId=1051384461905&defurl=false&h=387

this is what the adapter should look like. the one u have might have just 1 wheel to turn. let us know what u have and we can help u out more.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my sony one looks exactly like that one, cept its a CPA-7, not a CPA-9C (i dunno wtf difference it makes)

it does play tapes fine though

thanks for the idea though, keep em coming, im anxious to figure this out

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
ok the inner guts of the adapter cassette have to have work together. if u get a pencil and turn one wheel on the adapter does the other one turn with it. IT MUST TURN TOGETHER. if it doesnt there is no gear inside the adapter to help keep both wheels turn at the same time causing the tape deck to reverse sides constantly. I had the same problem. I know what u r going through. your car stereo is fine. Its the adapter. So u can do that pencil test. very simple to do. So what u have to do is the pencil trick. if u turn one wheel and the other one dont move that adapter isnt good for that car. DONT THROW OUT THE ADAPTER. IT WILL WORK IN OTHER CARS. Im pretty sure i just solved your problem. lol take care and look for another adapter. I wouldnt spend more than 20 for a new one or a better one.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thanks man but the wheels both turn at the same time with the pencil trick...

so im still at a loss here

bahh i dunno, my friend derek wants to buy the radio shack one off of me because it works in his Saab, so i guess i'll part with that one and then look for another one somewhere else

1 - 5 of 5 Posts