DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 intrepid sport!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys i just bought this intrepid ..i want to pimp it out and beef up the motor ...the car is currently midnight blue ..but i want to go black ...rear fenders and trunk dark blue .....rims and rubber....some blue neon lights under the rear and sides ....the motor stock is 3.5L 225hp can u turbo this motor? is there anything else that can bve done to increase hp? if any one has some tips or suggestions id love to hear .....thnx.....
 

·
Speed is Power
Joined
·
6,687 Posts
I love it already, lol. I love the color and I have always wanted a Sport, wanna trade? Looks like ur headlights are a little foggy. Hows she drive? I wanna see more pictures lol.

Since, I saw that you were missing 3 center caps, I wanted to post that you might be able to find them on ebay. If 1 is cheap, I would buy it and wait for the other 2 to be cheap, there always on there, or maybe somone on here has some for sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
i love that color you lucky bastard, congrats on the car.

to answer you're question about pulling more HP from the motor, i would suggest getting a cold air intake, would be one option for our cars, i've heard from members here that it helps .01% if any but still a cool thing to have.

I would also suggest getting a turbo if possible, they're not even that expensive i once saw one for around $500 somewhere on this site.

These two things can get you started hopefully.
post more pictures, i like the color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,840 Posts
ya i think a turbo is like 4000$. It may not be the best route to go.

You might be better off working on the atv. Not much work u can do on the engine.

Interior stuff + other parts you can get here. It all depends on how much you are planning to spend.
The turbo thing has been done b4 but it tends to kill ur engine over time.... really quickly. IT was done on a1st gen and 2nd gen. You get something like 380 - 400 hp total from a 3.2L 2nd gen engine. (is that rite?) something like that.

Welcome to the forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Damn nice car!!
If you don’t know the history of the cars service, take the car to the dealer and have them flush tranny, replace filter & fluid etc. It’s the best $100 you can spend on that car to insure long life.
A 4 wheel alignment is a good idea too. Really helps w/ steering tire life and I think fuel. Not all shops can do a 4 wheel alignment. I would have the dealer do this too.

-GB49
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Unfortunately Dodge did a pretty good job of getting the power out of the 3.5 engine they put in our cars, and the aftermarket never did much for Intrepids. The cold air intake is a nice upgrade, and to me it feels like it does improve the high rpm power. When I get around to going over to Washington to put mine on a dyno I’m going to take the stock restrictor tube and see for myself what if any changes it makes to the HP and TQ curves. You could probably free up your exhaust system a little too to improve the flow. Another thing you can also pull your ECU and send it to Jegs to be tuned for an extra couple HP. And of course there is always the easy fall back, you can always give it a shot of nitrous.

Now as for the color, I really like that blue yours is in. maybe have the guys that are really good with imaging show you what yours would look like with the two tone before doing it, because it does look great all in black.



(Don’t say it, I know the carwash did a crappy job of the wheel wells, and the tires needed dressing.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
If you search around outside of this site like on ebay there are a few turbos on there costing well under 500 dollars being brand new and brand name if you know what to look for. As for the 4000 dollar price figure thats probably if you paying SOMEONE ELSE to do the work for you. The problem is most people dont want to get off their ass and learn to do stuff themselves. The hardest part might be making the crossover pipe (or headers) and plumbing it, other than that, its easy as pie just takes time and money. I'd say that a turbo build up if you do it yourself would cost around 1000-2000 at max if you shop around.

And a turbo would ONLY kill your engine if a)you have too much boost or b)you dont use enough fuel. If someone was pushing 400hp from a 3.2 then even if they did upgrade the fuel system they'd fry the pistons because the boost needed to do that would be far out of the range for safety. I'd say about 5-8 psi for daily driving (WITH upgraded fuel components) would be right. If you want to go any higher you'd start to need custom components such as pistons and maybe connecting rods. Your crank is forged so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

If you want to learn more about turbos then you should buy corky bell's book maximum boost because he describes a lot of theories and facts about turbochargers and the text really helps when you decide to do a boost buildup, not to mention the book isn't too boring either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
BluEHorizoN said:
a turbo would ONLY kill your engine if a)you have too much boost or b)you dont use enough fuel. If someone was pushing 400hp from a 3.2 then even if they did upgrade the fuel system they'd fry the pistons because the boost needed to do that would be far out of the range for safety.
This guy is actually dealing with a 3.5 not a 3.2 and I believe its the tranny that would die quickly from a turbo job not the engine, these trannies really can't handle much power at all. Any turbo would have to be completely custom from intake all the way to headers there is nothing made for these cars. That said I think I have heard of 1 or 2 turbo 3.5s but no word on how it turned out or if they are still around.

Gotta say I love that color though, must have only been available in America, up here in Canada I have seen several hundred intrepids and none were ever that color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,288 Posts
IntrepidSportDriver said:
This guy is actually dealing with a 3.5 not a 3.2 and I believe its the tranny that would die quickly from a turbo job not the engine, these trannies really can't handle much power at all. Any turbo would have to be completely custom from intake all the way to headers there is nothing made for these cars. That said I think I have heard of 1 or 2 turbo 3.5s but no word on how it turned out or if they are still around.

Gotta say I love that color though, must have only been available in America, up here in Canada I have seen several hundred intrepids and none were ever that color.
The transmissions aren't as weak as you would think...i ran a 100hp shot on mine for 5 years and never had any tranny issues other than a bad sensor.
Most of the hard damage to the trannys were caused by alot of the kids a few years back doing multiple nuetral drops.
And just a note: The 3.5L is nearly bullit proof when raced correctly.
:Edit: When you approach 275hp or more, you can get used to replacing inner tierod bushings frequently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IntrepidSportDriver said:
This guy is actually dealing with a 3.5 not a 3.2 and I believe its the tranny that would die quickly from a turbo job not the engine, these trannies really can't handle much power at all. Any turbo would have to be completely custom from intake all the way to headers there is nothing made for these cars. That said I think I have heard of 1 or 2 turbo 3.5s but no word on how it turned out or if they are still around.

Gotta say I love that color though, must have only been available in America, up here in Canada I have seen several hundred intrepids and none were ever that color.
actually this is a canadian car...thnx alot guys for the tips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
24vsleeper said:
Unfortunately Dodge did a pretty good job of getting the power out of the 3.5 engine they put in our cars, and the aftermarket never did much for Intrepids. The cold air intake is a nice upgrade, and to me it feels like it does improve the high rpm power. When I get around to going over to Washington to put mine on a dyno I’m going to take the stock restrictor tube and see for myself what if any changes it makes to the HP and TQ curves. You could probably free up your exhaust system a little too to improve the flow. Another thing you can also pull your ECU and send it to Jegs to be tuned for an extra couple HP. And of course there is always the easy fall back, you can always give it a shot of nitrous.

Now as for the color, I really like that blue yours is in. maybe have the guys that are really good with imaging show you what yours would look like with the two tone before doing it, because it does look great all in black.



(Don’t say it, I know the carwash did a crappy job of the wheel wells, and the tires needed dressing.)
...sweet lookin ride:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Thanks Sean, you can’t go wrong with the undercover FBI car look. It’s kind of weird, but I haven’t seen any blue 1g Intrepids either, and there are a lot of Intrepids around here. I would’ve thought that more people would have bought bright “Dodge” red, black, and dark blue Intrepids, but I hardly ever see them…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
IntrepidSportDriver said:
This guy is actually dealing with a 3.5 not a 3.2 and I believe its the tranny that would die quickly from a turbo job not the engine, these trannies really can't handle much power at all. Any turbo would have to be completely custom from intake all the way to headers there is nothing made for these cars. That said I think I have heard of 1 or 2 turbo 3.5s but no word on how it turned out or if they are still around.

Gotta say I love that color though, must have only been available in America, up here in Canada I have seen several hundred intrepids and none were ever that color.
I never said he had a 3.2.... i was refering to the last person who mentioned to someone having a 400hp 3.2 blowing their motor.

And i believe that when properly treated and properly driven these transmissions can handle a turbo. Just dont race it.... And you're right. Any turbo would have to be custom made, but if you do all the research before it i believe you could end up with a better system than if you would've just bought a bolt on kit.

I've talked to someone making around 350-400 whp with his 2nd gen cavalier and it seems that he is shredding CV boots like nothing... however he has solved his problem.... stop going to the drag strip :fun_06:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k-nash said:
Hey Sean,

Your engine has 214 HP and 221 ft/lbs of torque.
..thnx ...was wondering i see u have seats from concord
..i guess they would be compatible with the 97 trep too?they look great so does your car.... thnx again:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
96intrepid3.3(201) said:
i love that color you lucky bastard, congrats on the car.

to answer you're question about pulling more HP from the motor, i would suggest getting a cold air intake, would be one option for our cars, i've heard from members here that it helps .01% if any but still a cool thing to have.

I would also suggest getting a turbo if possible, they're not even that expensive i once saw one for around $500 somewhere on this site.

These two things can get you started hopefully.
post more pictures, i like the color.
thanks alot!! great to have the info ...love those light covers on yours.... sharp lookin car...also like the intrepid windsheild sign all i ever see is just dodge or chrysler ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BluEHorizoN said:
If you search around outside of this site like on ebay there are a few turbos on there costing well under 500 dollars being brand new and brand name if you know what to look for. As for the 4000 dollar price figure thats probably if you paying SOMEONE ELSE to do the work for you. The problem is most people dont want to get off their ass and learn to do stuff themselves. The hardest part might be making the crossover pipe (or headers) and plumbing it, other than that, its easy as pie just takes time and money. I'd say that a turbo build up if you do it yourself would cost around 1000-2000 at max if you shop around.

And a turbo would ONLY kill your engine if a)you have too much boost or b)you dont use enough fuel. If someone was pushing 400hp from a 3.2 then even if they did upgrade the fuel system they'd fry the pistons because the boost needed to do that would be far out of the range for safety. I'd say about 5-8 psi for daily driving (WITH upgraded fuel components) would be right. If you want to go any higher you'd start to need custom components such as pistons and maybe connecting rods. Your crank is forged so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

If you want to learn more about turbos then you should buy corky bell's book maximum boost because he describes a lot of theories and facts about turbochargers and the text really helps when you decide to do a boost buildup, not to mention the book isn't too boring either.
thank you for your info ...much appreciated..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GB49 said:
Damn nice car!!
If you don’t know the history of the cars service, take the car to the dealer and have them flush tranny, replace filter & fluid etc. It’s the best $100 you can spend on that car to insure long life.
A 4 wheel alignment is a good idea too. Really helps w/ steering tire life and I think fuel. Not all shops can do a 4 wheel alignment. I would have the dealer do this too.

-GB49
well the car had one owner b4 me...and he kept good care of it but that is a good idea i should get that done ....thnx:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nhogan said:
I love it already, lol. I love the color and I have always wanted a Sport, wanna trade? Looks like ur headlights are a little foggy. Hows she drive? I wanna see more pictures lol.

Since, I saw that you were missing 3 center caps, I wanted to post that you might be able to find them on ebay. If 1 is cheap, I would buy it and wait for the other 2 to be cheap, there always on there, or maybe somone on here has some for sale.
.no i dont want to trade...hahaha yes the headlights are a little foggy dont think they have ever been replaced ..car drives great has all kinds of power ..everything works good have to replace the struts in the front here next week just put new rotors pads &left caliper windsheild has a major crack and should be replaced as well.has a nice jvc stereo cd with remote and some infinity speakers...{needs sub and amp}....very clean interior paint has some scrathes and some small dings in the car ..but like i said i got the car for next to nothing so i dont mind putting some cash into it...new paint ..rims and rubber... ill post some more pics later today.... thanks alot ...
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top