DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 74K, engine failed. No sludge. Shop Replaced w/ rebuilt.
With 20K on new engine now, oil pressure light comes on (ever since 6k on new eng.) after going from like 45-65 to a stop.

Tap the gas barely, goes off (or put in N, then back to D). Shop said it was oil sending unit. Replaced it. Drove it on a short vacation....started doing it again after 230 miles. Still does it.

Even unhooked neg on battery for 15 min ,hooked back up, replaced oil cap...still does it. No loss of oil, oil clean like it should be.
Car runs fine tho. (Except AC!)
Anyone know what this can be??

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Search for threads regarding the oil light TSB. The '98 and '99 models have a TSB issued for that problem. The same problems happen on the 2000-2004 models also. I've posted about it plenty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok...
ive had this problem...

first, replace the sender, while doing that, take some oil (id sure hope your using the mobil 1 synthetic) drip it into the sender and tap it lightly against something, what ive seen happening is because the hole is so damn small theres a small bit of air that gets trapped in the tube into the sender causing it to think theres no oil pressure. i know it sounds weird, but ive had it happen to me

also, if your light is coming on afterwords... sorry to say but probably your connecting rod bearings are going. the factory ones seem to be made of something that nicely flakes itself apart.

hopefully that helps !

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
have an oil pressure test done on it at a shop. Then you'll know if it actually is low oil pressure or an indication problem.

Damn Chrysler for not giving us a "proper" oil guage in the first place.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. I've already replaced the sending unit once...and still does it. I figure if the shop replaced the sending unit, the oil pressure wasn't low.
I can't really get under the thing and replace it...what damage is done if i just leave it alone ?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Question, after they replaced the oil pressure switch did the light stop coming on for awhile? From your original post it read that way to be but I wanted to be sure. One of those links I linked to has the actual Technical Service bulletin regarding this issue and calls for the installation of a vent wire. Its not a hard thing to install and can be done in about a half hour right in the driveway. I've done it myself. And the part is cheap about $15-$20.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
froggy81500 said:
Question, after they replaced the oil pressure switch did the light stop coming on for awhile? From your original post it read that way to be but I wanted to be sure. One of those links I linked to has the actual Technical Service bulletin regarding this issue and calls for the installation of a vent wire. Its not a hard thing to install and can be done in about a half hour right in the driveway. I've done it myself. And the part is cheap about $15-$20.
Yes, it did stop for about 230 miles or so...drove it on vacation...and then started coming on, but not regularly. Then back home, noticed on my drive to and from Columbus....and then it started up again driving locally when coming to a stop after it had warmed up.

Thanks much for the post on installing the vent wire...i will make that adjustment sometime between now and August.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
garysfroth said:
Yes, it did stop for about 230 miles or so...drove it on vacation...and then started coming on, but not regularly. Then back home, noticed on my drive to and from Columbus....and then it started up again driving locally when coming to a stop after it had warmed up.

Thanks much for the post on installing the vent wire...i will make that adjustment sometime between now and August.
For the time being, what you could do is remove the sealing dart in the connector. It will have to come out anyway when you do get around to doing the vent wire. but you could pop out the dart and leave it open like that to see if it changes anything. Besides that, while you have the connector off you can check to see if the new switch started to leak. If you find oil inside the connector then its leaking and I'd leave the dart in until its fixed. Just my two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
16,853 Posts
darkcougar said:
...what ive seen happening is because the hole is so damn small theres a small bit of air that gets trapped in the tube into the sender causing it to think theres no oil pressure. i know it sounds weird, but ive had it happen to me...
With all due respect, that has not happened to you. That would violate the laws of physics. Pressure is pressure whether its air or oil in contact with the sensor. There may have been something going on to give a bad reading, but it was not because pressure is different in air than in oil - simply not so.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
peva said:
With all due respect, that has not happened to you. That would violate the laws of physics. Pressure is pressure whether its air or oil in contact with the sensor. There may have been something going on to give a bad reading, but it was not because pressure is different in air than in oil - simply not so.
Nice to see you're back. where've you been hiding?

I was gonna comment on that post earlier but I just figured I'd leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
16,853 Posts
froggy81500 said:
Nice to see you're back. where've you been hiding?

I was gonna comment on that post earlier but I just figured I'd leave well enough alone.
Hey, Frogster! Just been hanging out on the 300M Club - limited time for forums and had to choose one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just been hanging out on the 300M Club - limited time for forums and had to choose one.
how about a change back to this one! we need (at least meh) more corde owners! hehe

speaking of the oil pressure sending unit, I cannot find it in my 2000 service manual. I must be under my nose, but I cannot find the section devoted to it. All it says is to 'remove' but where and how. I just did an oil change and wanted to replace the old unit with the new one, but I could not find it!

Someone had a picture posted but that didn't help me locate it.

Anyone got a better picture or page number of the section for it?

Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
BLASK02 said:
how about a change back to this one! we need (at least meh) more corde owners! hehe

speaking of the oil pressure sending unit, I cannot find it in my 2000 service manual. I must be under my nose, but I cannot find the section devoted to it. All it says is to 'remove' but where and how. I just did an oil change and wanted to replace the old unit with the new one, but I could not find it!

Someone had a picture posted but that didn't help me locate it.

Anyone got a better picture or page number of the section for it?

Thanks in advance :D
I posted a shot from the manual in my gallery that's a diagram from the FSM. Its not hard to find. Passenger side, slide under the car so you're just rearward of the motor mount. Up on the block, not quite all the way up to the cylinder head. It will have a one wire connector attached, unless its had the vent wire installed then it will have two. Its black plastic with a brass looking hex toward the motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts