DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings!

I have a 1999 2.7L Dogde Intrepid with 120K. This morning when I was driving to work, the speedometer stopped working and the car didn't shift out of second gear.

When I got to work, I used the on-off-on-off-on-off, the code that was returned was 0700.

I know I need to check the transmission fluid, but since I am at work and its pouring rain that will have to wait until the weather clears. I'm an almost complete novice when it comes to cars, so I was wondering what sort of things I might be able to check in addition to the transmission fluid?

Thanks for your time!
Chris

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I understand AutoZone will check codes for free--don't know that for sure, and I don't know if they can retrieve tranny(specific) codes..but you will needs more diagnostic help than the odometer method gives...

·
Registered
238 Posts
If the speedometer is not working then the output speed sensor on the transmission is bad. There is also an input speed sensor. They typically go bad within a few thousand miles of each other. Its an easy repair if you have the socket wrench to fit the sensor. They usually run about $45 each from the dealer and it takes about a 1/2 hour to do the job. They are located on the drivers side of the transmission housing. Input sensor is towards the front of the car, output towards the back.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
jgams said:
If the speedometer is not working then the output speed sensor on the transmission is bad. There is also an input speed sensor. They typically go bad within a few thousand miles of each other. Its an easy repair if you have the socket wrench to fit the sensor. They usually run about $45 each from the dealer and it takes about a 1/2 hour to do the job. They are located on the drivers side of the transmission housing. Input sensor is towards the front of the car, output towards the back.
Will that give a 700 code? I don't know/remember what others have said about 'limp' mode...but it sounds like a TCM communication problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
0700 is the transmission computer has sensed a problem in the transmission. He has the classic speed sensor fault which is 1-no speedometer function and 2-its locked in 2nd gear which is limp in mode.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I agree with jgams, I believe the output sensor is bad. I would go ahead and replace both (input and output) sensors on it if I were you.

·
Registered
750 Posts
dont trust autozone codes LOL they just told me my glow plugs were bad and i got a 2.7 cant belive he told me that with a straight face LOL

·
9,861 Posts
Scan tool doesn't require a genius to use. All it does is output code numbers, which they look up. Misfire might also be the same code as a glow plug error on other cars.

Key forward three times spits out the OBD-II code numbers, same as the scan tool. On 2nd gens, a generic low end scan tool won't tell you any more than key trick.

That aside, change your speed sensors.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
IntrepidCUB said:
dont trust autozone codes LOL they just told me my glow plugs were bad and i got a 2.7 cant belive he told me that with a straight face LOL
That just goes to show you the LACK of knowledge some of these clerks in the parts stores have. A monkey can plug in a code reader and then read from a book. If they don't know that gasoline engines don't use glow plugs (diesels do) then run far away from that place. I've said it before, regarding parts store employees (and other lines of work where a product is sold), at least have some basic knowledge of what's what. If you go to the counter and ask for a wheel bearing and they hand you a box with a water pump in it and they don't know the difference, do you really want to shop there? I remember guys in some of the parts stores could cross-reference stuff, and the really good ones knew part numbers off the top of their heads!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts