DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 that wont start with no crank. Sometimes it will turn over right away several times in a row, and then for days it wont do anything at all.

Battery and connections checked, starter solenoid checked, ignition switch checked, SKIM system checked, all fuses and connections checked. No error codes come up...

When i turn the key i get a faint click from the fusebox under the hood, but thats it.

When it randomly decides to start it runs great and sounds even better.

Any idea what this could be? what i can try next?

·
Premium Member
16,854 Posts
Not sure how you checked the starter solenoid, but the symptoms you describe are classic bad starter solenoid contacts. Amazon has the kit for under $15 - works great and a lot cheaper than a starter:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Victory-Lap-ND-34SOL-Solenoid-Repair/dp/B0031HMS7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390393353&sr=8-1&keywords=victory+lap+nd+34sol+solenoid+repair+kit[/ame]

(Do not get the Dorman kit that Advance sells - it doesn't include the plunger (very dumb!!) and costs more.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does your fuel pump come on? When key is in start position you should here it as it pressurized the fuel system. How long has this been going on? It could be bad gas (water in the tank). I had this happen with shell gas once. Fixed with a bottle of heet.

You saying it cranks over? the starter/electrical back is working properly. If not It would be a faulty solenoid, or low battery voltage. Even if you measure 12.5+ volts on the battery it may not have enough current to turn starter. Yet the interior lights will function and accessories. Let us know if you solved this.

·
Premium Member
16,854 Posts
...When i turn the key i get a faint click from the fusebox under the hood, but thats it.
You're hearing the starter relay. That tells you that the ignition switch is working. Either the starter solenoid is bad or you have a poor power connection to the starter (could be loose nut on the stud where the main power wire connects at the starter). Again, my money is on solenoid contacts.

Does your fuel pump come on? When key is in start position you should here it as it pressurized the fuel system. How long has this been going on? It could be bad gas (water in the tank). I had this happen with shell gas once. Fixed with a bottle of heet.

You saying it cranks over? the starter/electrical back is working properly...
I read the OP as saying the starter is not spinning the motor.

Reactions: Ronbo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts