DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 dodge intrepid and i have a severe shaking problem while the car is in motion, heres what happend i know its a front wheel drive vehicle but i was stupidly doing donuts and as i was doing them i heard a loud pop noise i drove down the raod and i couldent steer is was extremely hard to turn the car into a direction well that problem fixed it self, i no longer have a steering problem but a few days later i noticed that my car would shake when i was driving it, when i accelerate it shakes a little and when im going about 65-70 mph it shakes extremely bad, i have to let off the gas and slow down to get it to stop also when i hit the brake at slower speeds it shakes a little, the shaking feels like it coming fromt he front driver side and i have has to replace my tirewd 2 times in the past month the tires have unusual tire ware, the spot they ware at is the outside of them all the way around the tire if anyone knows what it could be please let me know, i need to get this fixed becuase the shaking is extreme at highspeeds so please help ,
thankyou for your help i am very thankful

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Take out a big insurance policy if you're gonna keep driving it.
Can you envision one wheel flopped out sideways as you're trying to go straight with the other three?

·
Registered
186 Posts
thabay510 said:
I have a 1999 dodge intrepid and i have a severe shaking problem while the car is in motion, heres what happend i know its a front wheel drive vehicle but i was stupidly doing donuts and as i was doing them i heard a loud pop noise i drove down the raod and i couldent steer is was extremely hard to turn the car into a direction well that problem fixed it self, i no longer have a steering problem but a few days later i noticed that my car would shake when i was driving it, when i accelerate it shakes a little and when im going about 65-70 mph it shakes extremely bad, i have to let off the gas and slow down to get it to stop also when i hit the brake at slower speeds it shakes a little, the shaking feels like it coming fromt he front driver side and i have has to replace my tirewd 2 times in the past month the tires have unusual tire ware, the spot they ware at is the outside of them all the way around the tire if anyone knows what it could be please let me know, i need to get this fixed becuase the shaking is extreme at highspeeds so please help ,
thankyou for your help i am very thankful

Sound to me that the axle bearings are damaged. I has a little pop when i spun the tires on my old intrepid once and i could of only hear it sometimes when i put it in drive and then to reverse and all the time when the car was still and i would turn it to the right and to the leaft on the same spot. Try looking around the axle area, especially on the pasangers side. If you cant find the problem the i would sugets that you take it to a shop where they specialize in tire and suspension like Less Shwab Tires. Good luck and be careful. :let_it_al

·
Woober Goobers!
50,368 Posts
You've driven that car for a month like that without getting it checked out by a shop? I'm with Bus...hope you don't come down any road I'm on. Get it checked out ASAP by a shop or mechanic that's experienced with Tires/Suspension!!

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
check tires for seporation,, check the inner purge joints on the front axles,, struts sway bars links and bushings innner and outter tierod ends rack bushings, bent rims,, aligiment usually dont cause a shake unless the tires are toed in or out so bad that there plowing snow when you drive,, whatever it is GET IT FIXED!!,, and stop abusing the car

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Have you even looked under the car to see what could be wrong? I had the same popping noise and then bad tire wear on my old Eclipse. Turned out to be the control arm. One of the eyelets where a bolt (along with the bushing) attached the bushing to the braking mechanism had busted. There were two more attachment points so it still drove ok, but because we all know it takes 3 points to make a plane (Geometry), the tire was able to toe out and also turn to the right ever so much that it just wore that tire down in no time.

It didn't take an expert to see that a piece had broken off. You need to get that car in ASAP. If it is something similar, you're one good bump away from completely snapping that wheel assembly right off the car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
yeah, do that in a wet parking lot...tons of fun...unless if you end up like this guy!!! lol :flame:

·
Registered
90 Posts
ulintze29 said:
yeah, do that in a wet parking lot...tons of fun...unless if you end up like this guy!!! lol :flame:
Yeah that's what we do here in Canada, except in snow. Not so much fun in our cars since our handbrakes are foot operated (footbrakes?).

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I've gotten really good at using the foot brake in the winter........however, now that I don't drive it in the winter anymore, I don't get to have fun like I used to :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
a friend of mine was doin donuts in his Van and made a popin noise he busted his power steering cable that could be messed up some how

·
Registered
120 Posts
my buddy did a dounut in a front fwd cougar once in gravel, he pulled the ebrake and put it in drive and cranked the wheel and i was going, not was good as a rwd, but it was still fun

·
Registered
531 Posts
pimptrepinator said:
my buddy did a dounut in a front fwd cougar once in gravel, he pulled the ebrake and put it in drive and cranked the wheel and i was going, not was good as a rwd, but it was still fun
Potentially very expensive fun. For that kind of money, I'd rather take my wife on a bargain Hawaiian weekend and leave the car alone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts