DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's a good topic, what was your first computer?

Mine was a Coleco ADAM with a dot matrix printer, cassette tape drive adn the expansion module to be able to play Atari 2600 games. Price at the time was $499 with no monitor (you connected to a TV). Oh the hours I spent trying to create DOS programs on that thing.

The ADAM is still in a box at my parents house, bet the thing would start right up too.

Hard to believe this is where I first started. Makes 486's look like powerhouses.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mine was i think in 1994 it was a gateway 2000 and it cost like 3,500 it wass the top of the line 166MHZ wow so fast now a days computers are super fast and ten times cheaper :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
lets see...

theres a blur as to which was first... which was in 1980 when I first came to florida with my parents (I was 11). I had a TRS80 model 3, a ti994/a (with speech synthesizer, Oo0o0o), Commie Vic 20, Timex Sinclair, Tandy CoCo, Commie 64, PC XT, 386 and so on and so forth .... can ya tell i grew up around these things?

and with all the boxes i have had, I've never owned a mac.

Anyone remember the Odyssey game machine from the '70s? had one

heres a link to em... wow, I never knew the history till now...I never imagined i'd find info on it at all!

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mine was in 1995. Packard Bell Legend 401CD.

Specs:
P1 75MHz
8MB 72pin SIMM memory
1mb on board pci video card
14.4k modem
Windows 3.11 for work groups
Canon BJ 50 bubble jet printer
850MB Hard drive
2x cd rom

I just sold it in July for 35 dollars on ebay, and when it sold, I had upgraded it to a 2.0gb Hd, 3COM ISA Nic card, Dual Voodoo 2 1000's (24mb) and P200 Overdrive processor with 48mb of EDO memory.

That thing would play half-life too, at 8x6 , well too. It was a tank, survived all my little experiments growing up with computers and thanks to it, I know a lot about computers now. :D

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Commie 64 with the floppy drive, gamepads and joysticks. :)

Tandy somethingorother

HP 486dx66 with 16MB RAM and a 500MB HD.

Ummm..now the thing I have now. Compaq Presario AMD 350 with 160MB RAM, 19GB in HDDs, etc.

Man...I need to upgrade.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
i believe my first was an '89 IBM XT i think is was called. it had that sweet green and black dispay monitor. and used those big 5 and some odd inch floppy disks....ah man it was great. :D ...now i have a '97 gateway shitbox, i am soon getting a new Dell. I cant wait :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
we bought an old IBM pentium 66 (the ones that were flawed) and went thru 3 of them all on returns because the chips were flawed. we finally got tired of them burning out every 3 weeks so we got a compaq pentium 75. what a POS. windows 3.11 and 8MB ram and a 14.4 modem. back then it was pimpin. it still runs actually, i upgraded it and tried to use it as a server with a few mods but that p75 just couldn't take it, so now it's a spare at my house. memories...

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I played the original PONG console game, my sister had bought it when it came out. Ran on batteries and ran into the Video in port on the big wood-panel TV. I wasn't around when it came out, but it was my entertainment for hours on end.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
ugh..os/2...

yes...BBs days....oh the women i met, and I married one...we got married back in 94, met in 92 on a local board. hell, most of my friends today i met on the boards back in the late 80's early 90's.

back in my commie days, we used to tweak up the 150 buad modems and get almost 200 bps out of em...stuff like that....oh how i miss those days....it's sooo different now. it's too easy.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepid99:
I got one of those that you set the phone handset on top of :) Don't remember the speed, but I know it is slow ;)
Its gotta be faster than my *GASP* 14.4K modem...thank god i am getting a new puter

·
Registered
217 Posts
My first computer was a TI99/4a, programing TI basic was great!! My first 'real' computer was a PB 166 when they just came out, $3000 for a 14.4 modem, 2.5gb hd, 32mb ram, 15" monitor. Still in use for my son, upgraded to 8gb hd and 128mb ram...

·
Registered
118 Posts
First home computer was an Atari 800XL, 1984 I think. 64K RAM, the OS took 16K of that. SS/SD floppy, 80K I believe. TV monitor. Same 6502 CPU at the APPLE II. First program for it was the MAE assembler.

First work computer was the IBM 360/30 (very small mainframe), 1969. Also had 64K, 3 7 Meg. disk drives, 4 tape drives, card reader and printer. Programmed it in Cobol, then Assembly soon after. I've since worked on most models of the 360/370/390.

Played with my high school's IBM 1130 from 1967-1969. Don't remember much about the hardware, 16 or maybe 32K, single platter removable disk drive, card reader and printer. Programmed it in Fortran.

:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I lived with my parent we went through many computer because my dad is a computer consultant.
But MY first computer, which I just but about 2 months ago, is an AMD 1.4GHz, 256mb DDR RAM, 40gig 7,200rpm HD, 64mb NVidia Geforce2 MX400 video card, SoundBlaster Live 5.1, 17" 2.3dpi Samsung monitor, 16x Sony CD-RW, and I think thats it. Total price was about $2200 CND.
I'm looking to get the SoundBlaster Digial I/O addon for my sound card, a 16x Sony DVD ($99, I love wokring at the Sony Store :D )

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Ah I wax nostalgic.

I started using Apple II's/TRS-80 Model 1's back in grade school (circa 1980-82), saved my paper route money and bought a Timex Sinclair 1000 (kit, no less!) and assembled myself. Moved up to the TS2068 (and later acquired a ZX Spectrum). Actually had to 5.25" 360K floppies and could run CP/M on that rascal! Har! I built a 300bps modem into a cigar box for it too... geezo that takes me back...

Bought a 286 from OfficeMax (!) right before they were discontinued... Launching Win386 on that rascal took 4-EVER.

I even ran a BBS on that guy for a short while using WWIV and Telegard (and one other one?) at different times. Had a FidoNET note (226:???) too. "Email" was cool back then.

Oh I could go on and on with obscure tidbits, but I digres... :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts