DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is already a thread for this, I've read the thread and its been dead since like 2002, so I dont want to drag it up. Can someone re-cap for me in plain jane english what I need to do in order to use 2nd generation brakes on my 1st generation car. I have ABS, and 16 inch ES wheels. Also, can someone tell me what the hell the difference is between sports package and non sports package and why it would affect the price of rotors and pads? (I'm going off of napa's website, I shop at napa because I work for a dealership and get a 25% discount at napa because of this).

Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but sometimes I'm retarded and I really need to replace my rotors + pads soon, and I want to make the upgrade. *only doing the fronts as of right now because of money*

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well there are two different front rotor sizes (I assume you want the larger diameter in addition to the thicker rotor)
The knuckles will need to go, and probably the calipers too, unless you want to reuse the old pads for a while)

the other stuff, hopefully, is carryover untouched. ABS sensor mounting, etc.

You might want to upgrade the rears too, the rear brake piston is larger on the LH2, but first things first.

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
actually if you use 2g knucles on a 1g car, you have to have the ABS sensor mount machined to be in the right space.. as the 2g sensor is in the totally wrong area..

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So can you give me an illustration of the original unmodified knuckle and then show me where it needs to be moved to? the pictures dont really show the move that well. And also any measurements, because I've got some good friends in the machining industry who might hook me up. Also what the hell is the official name of the "knuckle" so I can get some pricing done on it, and would it be cheaper/smarter to just get one from a junk yard?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
and i can't remember either, do all 2nd gens have bigger brakes, rotors etc, or just certain ones?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blarg, thanks for the help guys but I'm still lost, as I've stated before I'm really not that knowledgable on the mechanics of cars, which probably means that I shouldn't attempt this conversion but ya know. Everyone starts somewhere, and I need new brakes bad, and since I want this conversion done eventually anyway I might as well save money now.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
true they could have, but i thnk the door jam sticker says wha tires are on there don't it, or is it just options of ires i forget lol

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I went to price rotors for my 04 lxi cord 16" or sport performance package had different part # and prices but the dementions were the same?

Mine has 17" but what is the differrence if they are the same size?

Is the 17" the performance package?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
In 2000+ all front brake rotors were 297x26
in 1998/99 there were some cars with 16" & 282x26

The smaller rotor is rare and more costly @ TireRack $72, which is the same price for the externally vented rotor, the standard rotor is $47.
Don't trust the TireRack database, the externally vented rotor isn't listed for the R/T, you have to select 300M.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
MikeW said:
In 2000+ all front brake rotors were 297x26
in 1998/99 there were some cars with 16" & 282x26

The smaller rotor is rare and more costly @ TireRack $72, which is the same price for the externally vented rotor, the standard rotor is $47.
Don't trust the TireRack database, the externally vented rotor isn't listed for the R/T, you have to select 300M.
Or you can just go to Advance Auto and get the Bendix R/T rotors (p/n 145263) for $62.96. :)

And you'll save on shipping too!!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.