DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier this year I entered the world of intrepids I came to this when my beloved 90 mercury cougar died on me. My grandpa then gave me a choice between his 96 es or his 99 es. Intrepids have been in the family for as long as I can rememberr my first car was supposed to be a 95 sport so going with the 96 was obvious. Now I'm seeing all these beautiful 2nd gens and I'm wondering if I made a mistake

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Yes. Yes you did.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I think the 1g looks better stock but the 2g seems to have a lot more options as far as customization
Great, now I have been translated into plain English! You must have long distance ESP that works with people you don't even know!! :D:spiders:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now it is my mission to make my 1g look drive and sound better than the 2gs that or I might just go out and find a nice 300 m they look so sexy done up right mmm mmm I might try both idk

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The gen II cars have more options and have stronger engines, parts are probably more plentiful because they are newer and all the dead 2.7L cars. I personally like the styling of gen I cars better (not counting the 300M). The gen I cars are non-interference fit engines and are nearly indestructible.

Take your pick

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
It really falls into your personal preference really. I have worked on both second gen and first gens and some parts from a second gen swap right over with minimal real modification. So take what you like and make it your own

·
Registered
411 Posts
depends on your preference on exterior/interior.

The ES with the 3.2L V6 and first gen 3.5L would a be a neck to neck race, however with my experience the 3.2L would get better mileage (unless its a 3.3L).

Either way you'll probably experience clear coat peel, I don't think that was fixed until 2000 or 2001 model years. And you will probably want to replace your sway bar links/bushings, LCA bushings and upper and lower ball joints and especially inner tie rods and maybe rack bushings.

It sounds like a lot of work but if spend the $$ and get a pair of tires and an alignment you will be in LH heaven.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
My buddy used to have a 95 with a 3.3 and I like the fit and finish of my 02 better. I dont have to worry about peeling clear, saggy headliners, broken headlight brackets or quickly rotting out cradle bushings. Not to say that 2Gs have their glaring faults as well. But I'm more of a 2G guy. IMO much better styling inside and out.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Need Proof?

How to make 300M special rims look good....

Wrap a 1G around them!

How to make road look good!

Put a 1G on it!

Whats better than one 1G? Two 1Gs!!!

Seriously though both generations have their flaws and their bread winners. Most of the common failure points (besides a transmission) that are common on mine I never experienced. Most of my work has been strictly due to my use of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My wife had a 95 Eagle Vision ESI 3.5L exactly like yours Eagle ESI... same color. When I see pics of your car I cringe, ( no offense intended but), I put 3 trannies in it. First was a total rebuild of the original tranny with, shift kit, new converter, the works, no corners cut. Lasted 40K before it scattered the planitary gears. Second one was used out of a 93 Vision TSI, lasted 2 weeks! Third was out of a 80K wrecked Intrepid. When I installed the 3rd tranny I sold the car. Still going strong for the new owner. Needless to say, I've had bad luck with Visions, but our Intrepids, LHS's have been tranny trouble free. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
My wife had a 95 Eagle Vision ESI exactly like yours Eagle ESI... same color. When I see pics of your car I cringe, ( no offense intended but), I put 3 trannies in it. First was a total rebuild of the original tranny with, shift kit, new converter, the works, no corners cut. Lasted 40K before it scattered the planitary gears. Second one was used out of a 93 Vision TSI, lasted 2 weeks! Third was out of a 80K wrecked Intrepid. When I installed the 3rd tranny I sold the car. Still going strong for the new owner. Needless to say, I've had bad luck with Visions, but our Intrepids, LHS's have been tranny trouble free. Go figure.
Yeah, considering besides cosmetics, they are 100% the same. I replaced my Trans around 170K. I knew it was about time seeing the last owners did not take care of it. It gave me 62K miles worth of life even after I found some chunks on my first pan drop.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Like everyone's been saying its all preference IMO i like the non interference engine of 1st gens, and i would take a bit of safety for a minor loss of power, and its not like the first gen 3.5 is slow its just not as fast as its heir to the throne...

as well for my personal opinion i prefer the 1st gen interior far over the 2nd gen, ive only been in a few 2nd gens besides at the yard, but i just didn't like the look and outside visibility as much as the first gen it always seems like the pillars are right in my line of sight when checking my blindspot but it may just be me....

as far as the weakest point on the car the trans the 00+ trans has upgraded components but since your options are up to 99 that wouldn't effect decision, and when your trans does go you can put a 00+ trans in either one if you so decide

1 - 20 of 42 Posts