DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help my father-in-law out with his 94 intrepid. He told me the dealer wants $1,000 to fix his AC. He was told that his compressor was bad.

Anyone know where I can find a good price on a compressor or a part number. Does this vehicle have this compressor in common with other Dodge products?

Also, Does this car have r12 or r134?

After installing a complete ac system into my Toyota Tacoma, and looking at the location of his compressor I feel confidant that I can swap it out after I have a shop empty out the refrig and then have them evac and fill it with proper refrig after installation of replacement compressor.

I would appreciate any advice or help anyone can give.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
it sounds like you know your stuff pretty well...i doubt that the actual installation would be that hard.

you might want to check on what refrigerant your car uses, the later model ones use cfc-free but the earlier ones might use freon. my roommate has a 93 lebaron that is freon.

i doubt there is anything except oem parts (ie, no aftermarket brands) you can put in the a/c system. you might go down to the junkyard and try to find a wrecked LH car and pull a compressor off that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've see the condensers on ebay all the time now. give it a check.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Autozone has factory reconditioned compressor with clutch for $229.99

There is a badge on the compressor that tells what type of refrigerant is used.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Our systems use the R134 (I can buy it off the shelves over the border in Illinois).

Also, if your A/C system is running but no cold air is coming out, your system may just be out of freon. Mine was, and we originally thought it was the compressor (which is, indeed, very expensive), but the clutch drive engaged fine so it was working properly. It just needed some more freon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys! So even the 94's have r134? Thats good news!
Im not sure what size v6 he has, do they all use the same compressor?
Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
436 Posts
Also note that these cars had a lot of problems with the condensor as well as the evaporator. Probably not the most reliable A/C system on the market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats good to know that the whole system is unreliable. Sounds like I better take a look at it myself rather than depend on what he thinks the dealer told him was wrong.
Thanks for the help guys!
Steve

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't get a reconditioned compressor. They are very unreliable. If the seals even seal right at first, you'll just have trouble later. I tried that at first and had to buy an AC Delco one because the seals leaked like hell on the remaned unit. Pay the extra cash and get a reliable one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just another tip...

There is a hidden extended warranty on the Evaporator (The most expensive piece to replace, as its an assload of labor) its warrantied 7 years 70,000mi. But they can be flexible, they covered mine with almost 80K...

·
Registered
219 Posts
My ac is bad but the pressure is up to par. So I was thinking of replacing the pressure sensor. Anyone know how to test it. And about that hidden warranty? Anyone know where to find some concrete evidence for one. My local dealers are not allowing a claim on it from me.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I just got back from the dealer.. picked up a pressure sensor for $90. AHH! it is smaller than my thumb! worth MUCH more than its weight in gold I tell ya. well, gonna go put it in, talk to yall later

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks Wildcat. I see though that the coverage is only for the condensor. Not the whole system of the pressure sensor. So they will check it out for 65 bucks. If it's the condensor no charge otherwise....here comes the bad news....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I was a little late on the 7 year evaporator deal, so I did it myself. Kinda wonder why they want 800 - 1000 bucks to install it. (Takes about 10 hours of labor!) I have the step by step instructions to remove it. If anyone needs them I can transfer them into a text file. Was real helpful. Tells you exactly what bolts to remove and in what order for easy removal of the entire dash board.

To bad September is here, I really enjoyed that ice cold air for the summer!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sheep Herder -if you are going to fix your A/C don't forget to also put an new A/C dryer on the car. This absorbs moisture in the system .Moisture is the enemy of a R134 system. The dryer is a black bottle bolted to the right front of the A/C Condenser. Also when you fill the system there is a new stop leak that can be put in with the 134 to help stop small leaks on the low pressure side. It costs a little more but may be worth it in the long run . Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
A/C Problems with 94 Intrepid

My clutch works just fine, I filled the unit with R134, received cold air for 20 minutes and then nothing. Someone suggested I try tracing the lines for a leak, but I'm not sure what this entails. Could use to suggestions.

Help!

Thank you.:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts