DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got my 2 new nos kicker 18" comp vr's circa 1998 today,im building a box next weekend just wondering if any one has atempted this type of setup in a intrepid before any ideas welcome any pictures of a intrepid with 2 18's will also help me i already have a idea and im almost positive i will need wedge type boxes ive been plannig for awhile just looking for all the ideas i can get db i know you got a lil somthing up your sleeve lol this thread is open to anybody with ideas of how 2 fit 2 18" subs in a lh trunk btw i want a sealed enclosure so help me please

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had 2 18 kicker comps in a back seat of a late 80's grand am, 88 I think, and damn that was a huge ass box. It hurt a deaf guys ears from the pressure.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why not dread in thinking outside of the box bro i dont want a setup you see every day!im keeping it real lol!! they really dont need that big of a box the min is 2.2 and the max is 3.3 ,im talking sealed enclosures btw and dread 18's go so low in feinding super low bass 15's are not working for me any more ,how should i build my boxes any ideas?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I thunked out of the box with 2 12's

but anyways..i dunno..ill look around cardomain for awhile..and post some pics of what i think you should do

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that would be super easy thats kinda what i was going to do but now its different ,i mounted my amp under the rear tray upside down its cool because my amp fills that entire area up and its kinda hidden,yourset up is different you just turned the box around?it usally will sound better with the subs facing the front of the car with a ported box with the ports on the same side as the speakers just like you have it ,does it sound better like that?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Ok I'll bite. What is the point of having one (1) inverted sub while the other three (3) are mounted "normally"?
Looks. It makes absolutely no difference in sound assuming he has that one wired in reverse phase as the others. Somthing else to keep in mind is you need to remember to accound for the lost displacement of the sub being mounted normally. the basket of the sub usually occupies X amount of volume inside the enclosure. Typically this is taken into account when a "recommended" volume is published. But when you go mounting them inverted you've now added X amount to the volume. Normally, it's not a problem since a manufacturer specifies a range. But when you have multiple subs you really want them all in the same volume enclosure. So when you go mixing like that it becomes an issue you have to take into account...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just build a big old box inside the trunk (pain but worth it if you need airspace) all the way from the front to the back, you should be able to get about 7 cubes out of it. Fire both up towards the top of the trunk.

I'd personally stick with one, but if ya really want to do 2, just try it and if it sux take one out :) btw, don't forget to take your spare out if you do it, lol, cuz it'll be gone forever :)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
i still don't understand the point (according to your current signature) of having 2 15's and one 8". Absolutely pointless.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its coming out great ive decided to make a false floor in the trunk the entire bottom of the enclosure will be fiberglassed to the the bottom of the trunk im also going to use the spare tire air space as part of the box, the enclosure will be permenant in my car it will be very ridgid and strong and hopefully sound killer ,the enclosure will be the entire floor of the trunk and about 6 inches high so when you open the trunk you will see nada just a cool lexan cover or grills i havent decided yet im going in the morning to get all the materials fiberglass,fiberglass resin,mdf,gloves,beer,ganja...lol i should be done in 2 weeks max i will post pics when im done

1 - 18 of 18 Posts