DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for engine mods for the 2.7 litre base Intrepid. I've put in a K&N Filtercharger, but having problems finding anything else. Suggestions? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the base 2.7 stock 99 as well and its hard to find people who are wheeling to modify my car without raising a brow but if you just ask around you'll find someone willing. like i added the flowmaster (80 series) that went in 1 1 2 with dual tail pipes added the K&S air filter(not much difference, but there is a difference you can feel) and added green interior lights I want to add a supercharger, headers, black out lights or whatever their called, and some neat blue interior lights i saw on this very web site well if your wondering about pricing i don't mind answering your questions at all

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jaysturn, tell me about this filtercharger..
crazykidclever, i'm thinking of adding the same flowmaster, it's not too loud is it? I'm trying to do as much to mine as I can possibly afford too..

·
Registered
112 Posts
On my 2000 2.7 'trep I went to Midas Mufflers where they removed the resonator and muffler, I replaced the resonator with a straight pipe and added a Flowmaster 50 series muffler, and a 3" pencil-rolled chrome exhaust tip. Total parts and labor was about $200. Oh, and does it ever sound sweet!
Robin

·
Registered
515 Posts
What would be better on the 2.7? Robin's set up or a dual exhaust? But for $200+, I would go with Robin's set up most likely

·
Registered
21 Posts
I only paid about well actually I paid 203 for my dual exhaust 80 series which sounds pretty sweet and on a scale from 1 to 10 on loudness I would say it is probably about a 7 its pretty low with the windows up while driving but when somebody drives by you its loud. it sounds nothing like those sweaky 4 banger rice burnners it has a nice V8 Mustang GT sound only with bigger balls

·
Registered
21 Posts
im extremely tired and forgot to ask who ever had the fliter charger (k&N) how much was that and was it better performance? A big difference or a little? or do you mean the air filter K&N?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by crazykidclever:
im extremely tired and forgot to ask who ever had the fliter charger (k&N) how much was that and was it better performance? A big difference or a little? or do you mean the air filter K&N?

I purchased the FilterCharger. It was about $45, and although it's not like night and day, I could definitely notice a difference. More so when accelerating from around 40-50 MPH than from a standing stop. Worth the money I would say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
K&N makes a cone filter/cold air blockoff setup for $200 to $400. The blockoff seals the filter element from the engine compartment, pulling in air that is as cold as available. Borla (www.borla.com) makes a cat-back system for the 3.2 for about $700, which I suppose would fit fine on the 2.7. I put the K&N filter on my '97 3.5 Concorde, and you could hear the difference--a low moan at 3000+. I'd bet Robin's Midas express setup is just as effective as the Borla, minus 500 bucks. Driveon...

·
Registered
44 Posts
After reading a few posts I decided to go with the Flowmaster 80 with dual pipes.I can't remember what you call the tips I'm going with.Forgive my ignorance but they sorta look like miniature mufflers.

I decided this 3 days after buying my Intrepid.I'm going crazy here. :eek: At least that's what my wife is saying. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ooops. :mad:

I forgot to add the price this job is going to cost.$235 including the tips.That doesn't sound too bad to me but again I'm not up to date on these types of things.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got the Flowmaster 80 with dual pipes put on today and highly recommend it to anyone with the base 2.7 that's looking for a little "sound". :D

Only 500 miles and I'm ripping stuff off it already.I was sort of surprised to see that the car had not one,not two but three freakin mufflers on it.Anyway,I left the first one on,replaced the middle one with the Flowmaster and chunked the back one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
OK. When you say dual pipes, do you mean just dual tips (like an LHS)? Or do you actually have two mufflers, one on each side? If you have the two mufflers for $230, I'm there next spring. See my sig for a pic of what I call dual exhaust. (Pic of Thrashers R/T photoshop'd)

·
Registered
336 Posts
It doesnt seem like taking one muffler and turning it into 2 would do much peformance wise for the car, you would have to modify the entire exhaust system all the way from the front of the car. Run dual pipes from the front where the 1st resonator is (someone on this forum has done this), all the way back to dual exhausts. Just changing the back of the car will make it sound alot better, but doesn't seem like it would yield any actual performance gains. Just my opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I want to do it just for cosmetic purposes. Just love the look of dual exhaust. And If I happen to get more hp and a better (not louder) sound, so much the better!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I should have been more specific.I had dual pipes run off the muffler to the back.Not all the way from the front.

I wasn't looking for any real performance improvement.I just wanted a cool sound to go along with the Motorsports package.

·
Registered
336 Posts
ahh, my bad. Thought you were looking for performance upgrades. If my wife would let me, I'd probably do the same. It would be nice to have a nice little growl in the exhaust!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: 99 Intrepid 2.7

Hey guy's, well I just joined this site and for starters, let me introduce myself, I'm from Westchester Ny and currently have a 99 Dodge Intrepid, w/h a 2.7 liter 4spd auto (yuck) 72,000 miles and kicking ass, but I'm working on it. Well the car to date has a dual (2) mufflers coming out the rear end and an [email protected] Aircharger Part # 63-1030 and this is a must! I've got on order a Jetchip Part # 68005 for this engine on order. As for suspension and other parts, I'm working on it and I think that if we all help each other out in here we can all acheive what we want and that is having some of the bad asses of Intrepid's on the roads and give these jap craps a run for there money!
Keep up the good work and I hope to here from everyone in here soon!:bigsmile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts