DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone had the same problems or knows of repair.my wifes car quit running one day. i hooked snap on diagnostics to car and had cam and crank sensor codes as well as convertor and other misfires. we cleared codes and i drove the car home, i replaced both sensors and coil packs and car would not start. now i have signal to both sensors going to pcm but lossing signal after it gets to pcm. i replaced pcm with 2 different ones but neither helped. checked flywheel and removed valve covers to check top end everything looks good. no breaks in wiring everything looks good i have a dealership looking at my car and we are all lost at this point. i have also replaced both sensors with new ones to make sure it was not a bad sensor from dodge.it does not have a skim key or alarm system or anything of that nature that we know of car is a 2001 2.7l intrepid

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already tried relay also we hear fuel pump operating and on drb we can watch signal drop off when spinning motor over cam and crank both have been dropping off

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Use a good contact cleaner on both the crank and cam sensor connectors. Those things are not too watertight, especially the crank sensor connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok we got cam sensor but crank sensor is still losing signal after reaching pcm we lose signal anyone who has any ideas please let me know

·
Woober Goobers!
50,349 Posts
Did you happen to write down the exact codes before clearing them? Might have helped in the diagnostics. As 98-ESer said make sure the connectors are clean at the sensors. High resistance due to corrosion could be a problem. You talk about replacing the sensors and the coil packs. Did you replace all the coils or just certain ones from the misfire codes? In your last post you talk about the crank sensor losing signal after reaching the PCM. How did you determine that? Did you have a voltmeter right on the connector pin at the PCM watching it or are you talking about a scan tool showing it drops out? The way it's worded is confusing to me and I do a lot of electrical troubleshooting! The more details the better on a problem like this.
Also you said the dealer was at a loss to fix this. Is the car still at the dealer or do you have it now? It's possible it's wiring as in a bad ground, frayed wiring insulation, intermittant shorting, bad splice or corroded connector pins and the list goes on. You say the camshaft sensor is working now...did you do something to fix that? Don't rule out that your "New" crankshaft sensor might be defective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we have checked at the computer with voltmeter but i am not sure exactly how he checked it and watched it go away also with scan tool more with scan tool. we are thinking flywheel but cant see any problems while checking it best we can without pulling transmission next step we were gonna pull trans but i dont know if that is worth it or not

1 - 7 of 7 Posts