DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is this. What is the size of the connecting rod bolts on the 2.7L? I will be rebuilding my engine, but the bolts seem to be larger than a 10mm 6pt socket and 3/8" 6pt socket. The 11mm and 7/16" are too big, and I'd hate to round the head. I would also like to replace all the rod bolts, but I have yet to find a replacement set anywhere for this engine. It seems as though a 10.5mm socket or a 13/32" socket would work, but both seem to be non-existant. I believe my only hope is to use a Gator socket or stripped bolt extractor, but I like to have some other input from someone else who has experience with this. I do have extensive experience with engine rebuilds, but this one has me scratching my head. I wonder if chrysler has decided to make a socket just for this job, neither Allpar or Haynes show the specs. of this bolt?

·
Registered
383 Posts
hmm I will be doing a rebuild on a 3.2 within a week I can let you know what they have in the 3.2 then. I am sort of like a bolt massacist though. When I did bodywork one of my favorite tast was burning the bed bolts off of pickups. I think it was Chevy who put their bolts in through the top so rain, smut, fertilizer, shrimp juice you name it always ran down the bolts and rusted them out real bad. I would usually blast the top off with a grinder then smack it down with a cold chisel and 3 lb sledge if it didn't give right up.

I can also say this. You are probable better off to use a slightly larger 6pt socket or box wrench then to try the gator socket or adjustable wrench on it. You can also try to tighten them a bit to break the surface tension then loosen them. If you strip it in the direction of tightening it usually doesn't affect the reverse direction too much.

You could also try and impact wrench. Regardless their reputation a 3/8th butterfly impact is a very non-desctructive tear down tool. It is the tightening you gotta worry about. I wish I hadn't given my butterfly impact to my helper when I left the last shop.

If you do strip one I posted a fix for that using a cut-off wheel and a big slotted screwdriver in a thread about rod knocking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My question is this. What is the size of the connecting rod bolts on the 2.7L? I will be rebuilding my engine, but the bolts seem to be larger than a 10mm 6pt socket and 3/8" 6pt socket. The 11mm and 7/16" are too big, and I'd hate to round the head. I would also like to replace all the rod bolts, but I have yet to find a replacement set anywhere for this engine. It seems as though a 10.5mm socket or a 13/32" socket would work, but both seem to be non-existant. I believe my only hope is to use a Gator socket or stripped bolt extractor, but I like to have some other input from someone else who has experience with this. I do have extensive experience with engine rebuilds, but this one has me scratching my head. I wonder if chrysler has decided to make a socket just for this job, neither Allpar or Haynes show the specs. of this bolt?
If you have trouble with parts, use your vin# when ordering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts