DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question. This is to the people who have had 2.7/300M special gears installed. How much did you end up paying for this install? And if you did this yourself how hard was it? Did you need any special tools? Any information on this would be a big plus!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
no! lol outside the cost of the gears themselves.. i'd say about an hours labor. Plus tranny fluid. They are not part of the differential and my guy said he could have had my car done in like an hour if it hadn't been for putting in the LSD...Changing the diff lube shouldn't be that hard...He had to drop a few things to get to it to work with the LSD but i'd say you wouldn't have to if you were just cracking the pan. He had to drop down the frame a little and unbolt the exhaust :S...that's what ended up costing me so much on that stupid mod. But i'd say for an 3.89 gear install you're looking at around 200 bucks MAX

$100 + change for gears
$40 + change for labor
prolly no more than $50 for new Mopar ATF +4 <---there is NO substitute!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I paid about $180 for the install. Be sure to find a good tranny shop.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What exactly is the name of the sprockets? When I called a local shop yesterday they said something to the tune of eight hundred, so I think that I confused him. Where in the tranny do these actually go?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Some shops don't know what the hell they're talking about.......$800 is a total mistake. I got quotes of $400+ for my muffler install.......ended up finding a place for $100 ;)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
what's your muffler got to do with it??? lol i'll dig up the part numbers. You'll be better off going to the dealership and ordering them there then taking them to the shop you choose.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I went into AAMCO today, and he knew exactly what I was talking about when I said sprockets. After some digging in a book he quoted me around $250. Since that is what I expected he is going to install them tomorrow!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've heard them referred to as tranfer gears.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
God i'd love to drive your M Blurred... you've got done a lot of stuf that i want to do. and i'd like to see how it rolls comparatively :) lol just riding would be nice too lol. If you ever roll toward central MO let me know :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Archael said:
God i'd love to drive your M Blurred... you've got done a lot of stuf that i want to do. and i'd like to see how it rolls comparatively :) lol just riding would be nice too lol. If you ever roll toward central MO let me know :)
Thanks man. It runs pretty strong although the heat and humidity here in Houston KILLS performance. This morning I laid a nice scratch shifting into second. I would love to drive Don's M for comparison. He's done a lot of tranny mods that I eventually want to do.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Good luck and have fun :)

Also i've noticed a huge difference in performance when ambient temperatures rise... that's what convinces me that Nitrous would do HUGE things for performance. Not only because of the normal boost that nitrous does but also because it cools the intake charge down. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
431 Posts
You are correct.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah that is right, but that is quite the costly mod. Although I have always wanted to ride in a car while the nitrous was being used. I really just want to know what it feels like to instantly have 50 extra ponies in the stable.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nitrous isn't that expensive if you compare it to a custom install turbo or s/c. It is definitely the cheapest power adder for our cars.

qp_20, you're holding out on us. Did you get the gears done today? If so, what's your initial impression?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The car is in the shop, but they didn't get to it today. They told me that if I brought it in this morning they would get it done before closing on Friday. They worked me in on very short notice, so I figured it was okay since I did not need the car today or tomorrow. But I will definately will post my impressions when I get the car back. I do agree that nitrous can be the cheapest performance mod, but can get very costly depending on the setup. If you do some work to the engine so it can better handle the nitrous, then you can run into some really expensive costs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I get your point on the nitrous. I've toyed with the idea but I just don't see it being very practical. When exactly would it be appropriate to use? I would rather have a reground cam and some head work done for instant available power. Maybe not as much power as nitrous but more practical and available at all times.
Keep us updated on the gears and let us know what you think of them. Hopefully you'll have them in for the weekend!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts