DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do my best as a curious, albeit clueless, intrepid owner to describe the problem seeing as I'm nervous about driving my vehicle to the mechanic if it's too serious. However I found another thread 2002 Intrepid 3.5 Sudden Transmission Failure.. Please... and it seems very familiar to what's happening, but the comments are so confusing and it's not my car specific. Here are my specific problems:

Since the weather has warmed up it seems as though my car starts to stutter. More specifically, it'll Rev up to 25000 rpm, have a high pitch of the engine working, but it won't move until all of a sudden it'll lurch forward. I used to think it was random but as it's happened more frequently it seems when I come to a stop and need to go again while my car isn't heated. Once it's at regular temp it seems to be fine but I haven't driven my car long enough to know for sure on that. However it's the same issue with the Rev at 25000 rpm, slipping gears, lurching forward.

The next issue is there's a slight issue of a gas smell when that happens. My indicator seems to minutely fluctuate on what the read is on how much gas I have. I'm unsure if that's related but I didn't notice this before the stuttering. Because of that, I changed my oil and replaced the filter, have filled up my gas to completion, put transmission fluid in and.... it still happens. I ran codes on it and the only ones coming up are pre existing issues I knew about when I bought the car a year ago (P0440 and P0441), which I figured if it was related to the engine or fuel pumps/injectors it would flash a code. I don't know anything, however.

I hear clicking. It sounds like it comes from the front tires but I replaced my entire hubs on both sides because I was legitimately able to see the ball bearings inside. All throughout winter I didn't hear any trouble sounds with the car after I replaced the parts so I think it's related. It doesn't always happen and I haven't pinpointed the pattern yet.

As I've stated, I bought the car with pre existing issues for pretty cheap thinking that it could be a nice project to put time and effort into. It's my first car, so very clearly I'm new at this and I've had assistance on my repairs. Here's what I know:

My front wheel bearings were completely shot. Like, the balls were visible and there was a constant clicking. I also mentioned the codes above, which is related to an evap cannister which I have the part already bought.
The biggest problem happened when I overheated my car and my air filter release cap blew off and coolant exploded all under the hold. Thankfully the tubes seemed unharmed, although there seems to be a minor connection leak somewhere under my front-side light. The leak occurs slowly, as in I bought two large containers of coolant in fall and I still have 1+ left so I haven't dealt with it due to the weather. Most of these concerns have been put off because of the winter and money troubles... but now that it's spring I want to continue the project.

I would love any help imaginable. As in, if you're willing to communicate with me I could compensate monetarily depending on reliability. I don't know what specs I should provide or whats necessary so any first start is so so so appreciated beyond words.

If this is a transmission issue, am I wasting my time and should I trade it in? It's 2.7 liter engine and has 140000 miles on it.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
Have you even checked your transmission fluid level?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
Engine needs to be running for at least 60 seconds and transmission in park. Cycle through the shifter positions and back to Park. Check the transmission dipstick after cleaning and reinserting it.

If fluid needs to be added....use only ATF+4 fluid. Doesn't have to be from Mopar or the Dealer. All ATF+4 is licensed from Mopar. The ATF+4 you can buy from Walmart is as good as where you can get it anywhere else.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
Transmission service requires a pan drop to drain fluid and replace filter. There isn't a drain plug for it. So a messy job.

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
While Ron's handling the transmission issue (we'll call that "Issue #1), I'll try to help on some of the other issues.

On your codes, for reference:
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Monochrome

"The next issue is there's a slight issue of a gas smell when that happens. My indicator seems to minutely fluctuate on what the read is on how much gas I have. I'm unsure if that's related but I didn't notice this before the stuttering. Because of that, I changed my oil and replaced the filter, have filled up my gas to completion, put transmission fluid in and.... it still happens. I ran codes on it and the only ones coming up are pre existing issues I knew about when I bought the car a year ago (P0440 and P0441), which I figured if it was related to the engine or fuel pumps/injectors it would flash a code. I don't know anything, however."
Going to ignore this for now, except to say any fuel gauge issues are likely totally unrelated to anything else you described. We'll see where you are with the gasoline smell after everything else is addressed - perhaps related to the evap system issue.

Issue #2: "I hear clicking. It sounds like it comes from the front tires but I replaced my entire hubs on both sides because I was legitimately able to see the ball bearings inside. All throughout winter I didn't hear any trouble sounds with the car after I replaced the parts so I think it's related. It doesn't always happen and I haven't pinpointed the pattern yet...

"...My front wheel bearings were completely shot. Like, the balls were visible and there was a constant clicking."

Are you talking about the hub/bearing assembly or the half shaft (axle) joints? A clicking when the car us moving thru a turn is often a bad outer CV joint on the half shaft. Often that will be accompanied (preceded) by the rubber joint boot splitting open and all the grease being flung out. When you say "the balls were visible", is that maybe what you were seeing. Need some clarification there. So did you replace the hub/bearing assembly or the half shaft/drive axle? Do you still have clicking when the car is moving while turning?

Issue 3: "The biggest problem happened when I overheated my car and my air filter release cap (???) blew off and coolant exploded all under the [hood]. Thankfully the tubes seemed unharmed, although there seems to be a minor connection leak somewhere under my front-side light. The leak occurs slowly, as in I bought two large containers of coolant in fall and I still have 1+ left so I haven't dealt with it due to the weather."
Instead of "air filter release cap", did you mean coolant reservoir pressure cap? Possible coolant leaks in that general area, some of which you may or may not be describing:
• Coolant reservoir and cap - reservoir plastic can crack, cap sealing surface (rubber) can deteriorate (split, crack, rough surface) and start leaking.
• Area underneath engine, behind alternator - thermostat housing gasket, waterpump shaft seal leak weep hole (in or near thermostat housing), short piece of Ø3/4" heater hose (connects metal pipe to thermostat housing) leaking, metal pipe that goes from coolant reservoir down to thermostat housing can develop rust holes and leak.
• On top front of engine, just behind the coolant air bleeder valve and upper radiator hose, there is a black plastic housing (looks like a thermostat housing, but there's no thermostat there) that is known to leak coolant, can also totally crack open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts